1 dock station instead 4 usb hd

hello
I have 4 external usb hd 3.5 where i saved the plots, I was thinking about something like the link abow where put the 4 hd instead to have singularly them connect by usb.
Principally my idea is to save energy :thinking:
What do you think?

How do you think this would save electricity?

Make sure the power supply for this docking station can handle the load of 4 disks. But the drive will pull what current they need, so you would only save 3 usb ports. (Make sure their USB 3.0 ports your plugging into).

1 Like

Warning, I purchased one of these hoping to expand the drives I can connect. It did t work as expected. At least the one purchased had a mirroring function. from what I can tell the mirror function would work great with multiple drives but when I tried to add multiple drives for general use, Once there was multiple drives it did not work correctly.

Thank you for your opinions
@yamen I posted just an example, I saw other that the hard disks are showed separately on windows.
@drhicom I understand your point so It doesnt save anything lol

Another thing to consider is that such enclosures do not provide adequate cooling. HDDs run rather hot - so this is usable as a stopgap solution at best

1 Like

Those don’t work very well in my experience, they tend to be unable to power all the drives and disconnect. They’re made for replicating disks but don’t work great as a diy-nas.

maybe better something like this one.
But I think as you sayd before there is no improvomet for the usage of electricity

https://www.techinn.com/it/fantec-enclosure-per-disco-rigido-esterno-qb-35us3-6g-4x3.5-sata-hdd-usb-3.0-esata/137851465/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=11953569&country=it

A little bit more expensive than the model you linked to, but I am running 20 drives across 4 of these Terramaster D5-300C enclosures.

https://www.worten.es/productos/informatica/discos-duros/externo/nas/caja-nas-terramaster-d5-300c-5-bahias-7402336?gclid=Cj0KCQiAip-PBhDVARIsAPP2xc329UKVLjwh00yiwB8Mjn_i1p7L4wiMqUy8phM5PnRRW0puiwRF1TEaAiS2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

No problems so far, noise is okay, drives stay spun up. Only when I’m writing new plots to a drives do lookup times become very slow, but I assumed this would be the case before buying.

The model that I linked is usb 3.0 do you think is enought ?

Thank you

Syba 8 Bay Tool Less Tray Hot Swappabe 2.5" 3.5" SATA Non Raid | eBay I have several of these, you need to keep checking for the best price, Deals do happen