120 HDD on single PSU

Fair point! The question, as always, is “is ~3% efficiency and being on the positive side of error worth another used $60 server PSU?” My answer was YES. :slight_smile:

No, it is not. But I am using non-server PSUs, worth 200+ USD for 1000W range. Plus, I already have the 1250W Chiftek PSU.
POWER SMART SERIES-Chieftec

Oh my my, what a tease!

1 Like

You could try to make some custom cabling with low gage (high section) cables to see if it mitigates the issue. Could help with voltage drop over “long” distances.

Server PSUs are a lot cheaper when refurbished than non-server PSUs. Tho I prefer regular PSUs for their silence.

Anyway, let us know what your real life results are when you go into production !

Good topic, learning much again :slight_smile:

So I have learned that I might be a bit overly cautious. That said, I do want to remind everybody that with electrical systems you don’t want to plan for all the days that it goes great, you want to plan for the day that it doesn’t go great and causes an electrical fire.

In any case here are the full electrical specs for WD Ultrastar and Segate Exos, with separate listing for 5V and 12V:

2 Likes