2xE5-2699V4 rig improvements?

Hello every one,
I have a decommissioned storage server that I’m using for chia plotting now.
Here is the hardware list:
E5-2699 V4 x2
128GB 2333 Ram
P4610 1.6TB NVME x5
10TB Sata HDD x8 (more are comming)
LSI raid card in JBOD mode
Windows 10 Pro

Swar Plotting Manager Setting:
Each NVME is targeted to separate HDD
Phase one per NVME: 2
Phase 1 max: 10 Plots
Total max: 25 plots
Each plot with: 4 threads, 4GB ram

So I am plotting around 30 plots a day, and I was wondering if I could optimized for more plots per day.

Also I can get my hands on a pretty cheap system with two Xeon Scalable Platinum 28 core CPUS, and 256GB of ram (I can always add more if needed). Have any one tried to mine with this hardware?

Thanks to you all, please give advice.

1 Like

Try “3 phase one” per NVME ? You have 44 cores (88 threads) on that machine and ample RAM.

I don’t understand this “each plot with 4 threads” bit. I thought phase 1 only used 2 threads and all other phases use 1 thread.

I have a similar server. 2x 2697A v4 256gb ram 2tb nvme. (5 x nvme coming) I’ve been experimenting for a few days. 6 simultaneous plots took 16 hours (2 cores 4gb ram). that’s a very long time. I tried a single plot with the same settings and it was over in 8 hours. I set the core to 4 ram 8 and it finished in 7 hours. i am very new to this. If anyone knows, I’d be very happy.

I believe you can use as many threads as you want, minimum is 2 threads. I think the best option is 6 threads.

Mine usually starts with 10 plots in total, and take about 15 hours to finish them.

Phase 1 constantly switches between using 1 thread and using as many as you throw at it. However, the marginal effective use per additional thread is diminishing to the point where most people have better use for threads beyond 4 or 6.

The other phase’s algorithm is indeed single threaded, but it still seems to profit (although relatively little) form having extras, maybe there’s some housekeeping that happens asynch or something.

All this I got from experimenting on my own system. Every system is different, which is why it is important to probe and test your own setup and find out what works for yours.