Advantages of k33-34 plots on cheap old used servers

Our old rig 3900X on cheap B550 MB used to do ~23min/plot or ~63plots/day or 0.05$/plot. New rig has got same efficiency, but ~18min/plot or ~80plots/day…same HW, only CPU swapped, and some tuning by HR IT department.

LOL

256 GB for 250 € without any kind of bargain hunting: Samsung 8x32 GB (256 GB) PC3L-12800L 4Rx4 ECC M386B4G70DM0-YK04 RAM REG ECC DDR3 | eBay

The 32 GB sticks will get you to 768 GB on a dual Xeon server.

16 GB sticks are significantly cheaper and get you to 256 GB required for mem only plotting too.

Just use the second and third 1 GBit connector servers usually have to increase bandwidth… or move the disk(s) you are plotting aka. Sneakernet.

1 Like

We have finally something useful.

Now, you have 600-800$ old scrap that can plot k32 just in RAM. spitting ~15min/plot with heavy energy penalty. 150W/plot. That’s in Europe 0.05$/plot right now.

Hetzner guys sent me new invoices for server hosting where they pay ~0.5€/kWh. That would be 0.075€/plot.

K33 needs 600GB RAM for plotting?
K34 needs 1300GB RAM?

No. The 400$ were including the RAM and I can easily sell the old scrap or 300$ in a year. So I spent 100$ on the hardware

My energy prices are fixed for the next 8 month or so. When considering depreciation of value the TCO if my old scrap is significantly lower than your setup based on consumer hardware. Not that it matter too much, it’s a fraction of the cost of farming the plots anyways.

Why do you bring up K33 and K34? Those are not relevant, are they?

as name of thread suggest, we discuss advantages of k33/34 because some guys claim it is better than k32.

I misunderstood your “if you buy RAM separate…server costs 400$”

My PC did cost 370$, that is 0.038$/plot for 9500 plots. CAD/CAM/DTP/dev workstation has been used only 120 days for plotting. No need for extra space for new PC.

It may be interesting at low-energy prices, though…the usual European 0.3€/kWh is joke.

Costs are pretty much the same as you see. Unless, you plot until death. Most kids won’t buy a dedicated plotter for usual < 500TB farm. With our cap, we are still in top 1000 at pool.

If you can fill up 18TB HDD in 2.5 days with usual 300$/HDD. I do not know many people capable to keep up with purchases of 12 x HDD per month…3600$/month.

it may look like fraction of costs…if you plot for 0.05$, it takes 5-6 years to repay just 18TB HDD…>0.1$ 10-12 years. where is your profit?

1 Like

That’s complete nonsense. Are you trolling or what?

Repaying plotting cost for 18 TB will take roughly 1.5 month at 0.05 $ / plot or 3 month at 0.10$ / plot. You pay that once per drive not every year or whatever… Difference of cheap vs. expebsive plotting are 1,5 month.

if you earn 0.0011264153446 XCH/plot/month or 0.034$/plot/month

18TB drive earns 5$/month…while your plotting costs may be repaid in 2 months. Plots do not work without the storage, or do you have some special tech?

~300$ drive is 60 months or 5 years…but wait that drive doesn’t farm without energy, and server right? Warranty is 5 years for HDD.

According to BackBlaze stats, HDD usually fails in 3-5 years. What if that HDD fails exactly 5 years and 1 day? You are not only in loss, but you also lost all your 18TB of plots…and need to replot.

You should go back to school if you cannot do simple math.

Plots are the only asset that makes you money, not the crap around it. Unless, you have IT slaves…also count your time. Our time is expensive.

That plots still makes the same money for all farmers, it is up to you how efficiently you can farm it.

Let’s say you are one of those S.M.A.R.Ter players, and you miraculously catch the failing drive. It takes ~1 day to move data to new drive…you have lost two hours by setting up this crap, your server uses 8W extra for at least 16 hours.

With average IT industry salary 150$/hour…you have lost in your time at least same price as the HDD.

How do you intentd to repay it?

Plotting right now is losing business…only speculation. Very few made it in speculation business…my master used to say less than 10% made it in speculating markets. Rich place bets on “sure” investments.

6 years ROI is gamble right now.

3 years later you can gamble on selling used HDD, and replacing it with new high-cap one. Still speculation that it is free drive in 3 years if you manage to get good price per TB.

You move plots to new drive…extra energy used for copy is not that tragic…let’s say 100W for 18TB…or 0.03$

Your counter is set to 0…plot is free, already paid…but your new drive is not paid yet, and you paid 650$ for 40TB.

You have reduced cost thanks to density/efficiency.

Comes halving…disillusioned crypto kids rush in, XCH skyrockets…difficulty skyrockets too…hdds cost +100% because it us cool to farm again…you wanna plot more…you cant because ROI is 10 years now.

You have that feeling you know better and buy 1000$ hdd

Your profit drops, xch price droos… you are back to 10+ years because you had that feeling.

We used to mine eth for over 1.2eth/month…crypto kids rushed in…we got 0.8…0.6…0.4…crypto kids started to whine…eth died

1 Like

Not sure if you are unable to understand or just trolling. Not sure why you are wasting your and my time coming here writing nonsense.

BTW: I put you on ignore. I am not interested in seeing any of the nonsense you are writing.

ROFL another math genius bites the dust

He’s going to end up talking to himself at this rate!

1 Like

If that’s true around here, maybe that means he’s in the right.

I appreciate the conversation about sensible decision making. At this stage, I’m waiting for this new plot format. I’m not losing up to 30% thanks. I’ll wait this out. GPU plotting? Nonsensical. If you can get cheap drives for almost free that can adequately pump out plots, then who cares if it takes a bit more time. I didn’t spend money on trying to be fast. It’s because there is no value in being fast. The last time I checked, the faster and harder computer hardware works, the hotter it gets and the lifespan is reduced because of heat. If you can put to use EOL hardware for the sake of a POW blockchain? Good on you. You spent a little as you could and didn’t remove useful hardware inventory. The reason I’m so steadfast on spending the absolute least amount on anything related to Chia POW is because it’s not a real business to me. I’m not one to sit and watch a plant grow. Waiting for Chia to take off for me is like looking at a stone on the beach and coming back daily to see if it’s moved. I have found faster ways to make money while still pursuing some aspects of Chia. I would just say to anyone, imagine when people start reporting failed hard drives. It’s all a gamble like Blackjack. You have been in this game for a while now. Do you fold? Keep going? Hold? To me the question would be whether the drives are going to outlast this bear market and if Chia will become something. Of course the other downside is getting wrapped up in this idea that big hard drives are a great investment for Chia. I guess they are unless you lose faith in Chia and decide to sell them off. Who is looking for used 10TB+ sized hard drives? 14TB? I know the wisdom is power efficiency wins out on the bigger drives. I say the resale value trumps that. I will also preface my views by saying POW is not for areas with expensive power rates. Like selling milk to a dairy farmer. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean that it’s for everyone unfortunately. If anything, big Chia farming operations in countries with expensive power or less renewable power sources will bring negativity to Chia POW itself. Nobody will say it’s a great use of power. I’m sure this is offensive for some to hear but such is life. Paying a crap ton to be efficient when it comes to farming Chia comes at a big hardware cost. I could pay nothing for power if I spent $10,000 on solar panel. And? It’s kind of dumb really. You pay the piper in one way or another. I’ll take a hit on operating expenses (power) vs. buying expensive BIG capacity hard drives that the average (any) consumer has zero use for. Don’t debate me on efficiency. There should be a separate branch for people who pay up the A for power and they need to spend their $10,000 on hardware so they can make $5/month farming Chia.

1 Like

@MisterSavage Don’t bother bad players crap their pants and start to dream.

Reality is, efficient plot is repaid in 1.5 month. HDD @ 15$/TB ROI 6 years.

Chia most likely drops to 20$ in near future.

ROI >5 years (HDD failure rate ~4 years according to BackBlaze stats) is BIG gamble.

Where is dreaming, there is rarely damage control. If I cut “losses” now, I am still in profit.

Good rules for crypto…

And his faced lost all expression
He said, "If you’re gonna play the game, boy
You gotta learn to play it right
You’ve got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you’re sittin’ at the table
There’ll be time enough for countin’
When the dealin’s done