After updating from 1.2.11 to 1.3.4 on Windows

It’s just you said

You didn’t include the word db.

So just wanted to be clear.

This never interferes with your keys, they are elsewhere.

1 Like

But when I start the GUI, and it does not find the wallet db, won’t it ask me to create a new wallet or enter my 24 words, which would re-create / resync the wallet in need?

No, your keys will still be there, so just click them as normal.

It will then resync the database itself automatically.

Don’t delete your keys…

Go into the chia mainnet folder, and just delete the wallet database , or rename and move it.

1 Like

Ah! I see.
The keys are tied to the wallet db, and the GUI treats the keys like a login-name.

When I click on that key, on the login screen, the GUI will not see the wallet db and will create it from the blcokchain.

Thank you for helping me understand this.

1 Like

Welcome ( 20 character)

There’s 2 databases, the main chain, and the wallet.
Don’t touch the main chain database.

1 Like

Question, Before you ran you upgrade did you shut down CHIA and reboot your machine? And I am very surprised that you don’t have your 24 word and keys in a note pad file.

My experience (maybe mentioned above, I didn’t read them all):

1. The GUI has become uncomfortably slow for whatever reason. Not just a bit, but quite a lot. I thought it might be the number of plots? Not sure the real reason. Furthermore, going between menu items (while normally running) on 1.3.4 takes a lot of time. If you have a slow PC, it might take longer than one would think and so try and exit by ending task. Just wait… a long time.

2. Have experienced this too. Found thru trial and error that if you don’t open tasks mgr and make sure all Chia processes are really exited … and try and restart before that, you will get the ‘enter mnemonics’ screen. Of course it works entering (the correct key), but it is not what you expect. So now I watch the GUI close panel and double check in task mgr to be sure. The GUI exit panel seems to be correct… when it’s gone, everything has exited.

1 Like

Ima just stick on .3.3 for a while, gui is a tad slow, but still workable with 700tb.

I use process explorer, and sort by folder names, easier and clearer than task manager.

If your still having issues try closing Chia and check it is closed, then rename your config file. When you start Chia it will create a new one, I’ve found the config can get corrupted. You’ll then need add things back and redo any alterations, but don’t edit the config with Chia running.

It’s fine to alter it while running, just changes won’t take effect till you restart the software.

1 Like

That github page is controlled by Chia, so that is basically as good as you can get it.

However, if you check the link that is shown when you hover over the button to download the latest, it will point you to https://downloads.chia.net/ where they keep all what can be downloaded. It is a mess, but if you go to install folder there (Index), you can find all releases and sha256 files there.

Either of those two places is good / safe.

I would not go back to v1.2.11, but if you cannot get v1.3.4 to work, I would drop it directly to v1.3.3. Just keep your backups (.chia and .chia_keys). Although, looking at the install base, the number of v1.3.3 nodes is about identical to v1.3.4, so somehow people manage to make it work, or just don’t mind sticking with those problems (maybe less pronounced on smaller farms).

2 Likes

With btc qt ( official wallet / node ) , the devs pgp sign the releases, so you get an extra check that it is a real version. That is as well as sha256 checksum to verify download isn’t corrupted / altered.

Maybe in time chia will follow suit.

1 Like

You would think so, but I’ve experienced too many issues whilst doing it, so now I close down, edit and restart Chia.

1 Like

Fair play I’ve never had issue, and your the first I recall mentioning it.
Good to know.

version 1.3.4 has been on their page for a long time now.

1. I shut down the 1.2.11 GUI.
  2. I copied my entire .chia directory and sub-directories to an external drive, as a back-up.
  3. I ran Windows Update. It demanded a re-boot.
    I did the re-boot.
  4. I installed Chia 1.3.4
  5. Headaches.

I will not keep my 24 words where they could be copied/pasted. If some malware manages to sneak in, I do not want my 24 words to be there.

I have a print-out, and I changed a few of the words in the print-out, in case anyone were get their hands on my print-out. So it is like remembering just a few words, and the rest of the print-out is accurate.

I never have a print-out (or write down) passwords. But in the case of 24 words, that is too much to remember. So I compromised (in a way), and have a few words memorized with the rest in the print-out.

1.3.4 is nearly unusable.
I would love to go back to 1.2.11 – but it is probably too risky to back-rev that far.

Are you confident that minor back-revs work? Are you confident that I could go from 1.3.4 to 1.3.3?

By the way, are 1.3.4’s issues all performance and GUI related?
In other words, can I trust my current blockchain and wallet db files?

I have a copy of them from when I was running 1.2.11. Should I put them back? Or should I just keep it simple and install 1.3.3?

You can use H/W protection. For instance, your old 8" floppy. No hacker has such hardware anymore. :slight_smile:

By the way, a recommended way by Chia official to store is to etch those words on steel plates.

I was not sure about it. I know very little about github, other than its overall purpose.
I was not sure if that page would restrict who can put code there. I did not know if it was limited to only the Chia developers, and I do not know their names. So I had too many unknowns to be comfortable doing a download from there.

Thank you for pointing out the index that is on chia.net that has the full catalog of Chia versions.