Anyone else running a Bluebox Timelord?

I have a computer in my garage/shop that I use when working down there. I had SETI running on that one for years.

Yes, but those days your computer at full power was drawing just 20W, and most likely didn’t require a fan on a thin aluminum heatsink :slight_smile:

Something will need to be done about the DB size. Less than a year into this and the DB is 36GB, that is ridiculous. It will be out of hand in no time at that rate.

2 Likes

It is true. Who will bother running a full node when you can offload it to flexpool?

2 Likes

Bitcoin db Oct 10, 2021 = 360.02GB

maybe in 10 yrs we should worry, if XCH exists then… but note it has plateaued recently… how did that happen??

This is not what dust storm proved. It is not really the db size, but how it is being handled. I would really welcome chia running small scale dust storms once a month or so, just to see how the nodes are holding up.

Agreed… it was processing that lagged behind in some nodes and slowed them enough to take them out of commission.

One lesson that should be evident from the dust storm … that if you use hardware only sufficient for today’s average requirements, it will be insufficient for tomorrow’s requirements or even today’s stressful conditions.

IMO - Super low power CPUs are simply not suitable for farming going forward, we see that now. Sure you can upgrade later / embellish them / hope for more efficient sw/hdw later, but why when…

Practically any lower end AMD or Intel processor has x2 / x3 / x4 headroom and low power consumption to make a ’good node now / in the future’.

My lowly Ryzen 3600 farmer passed thru the storm, with zero effect. My Ext/Int drives take ~x5-x10 the CPU power, so why chase a watt or two vs. dealing w/so many problems.

The extraordinarily difficult time so many peeps have syncing, or staying synced shows how CPU bound it is, and the storm exacerbated that condition for many.

Bottom line, ‘fixing’ or compacting the db will have virtually no effect on most everyone node’s reaction to stressful conditions, nice as it may be from a technological aspect.

1 Like