Anyone Mining ETH? What do you do after the merge?

Hey guys,

Is anyone else multi-mining on their system?

The ETH Merge is happening in the next days. What will you do after the merge? Sell you GPUs and buy HDDs or will you switch to an RVN, Ethereum Classic and so forth?

1 Like

I am mining ETH until the final second.

After this, will see what happens on a profit-switching pool initially, something like NiceHash, for a few months.

Since all my ETH mining rigs are just gaming PC’s, some with 2 GPU’s rather than one, they should have a decent resale value if I decide to sell, over and above trying to offload just a GPU.

Any profits I make should I decide to go this way, I will either take as profit or re-invest in more storage capacity.

1 Like

same. doing multimining on my rigs.
I buy hdds. gpus are beeing sold off slowly to give room for power capacity.

2 Likes

Turn off the rigs and wait. GPU prices won’t get much lower than that, but if anything crazy happens they might go up again.

1 Like

There is a massive amount of ETH miners out there. Absolutely massive. I can’t imagine any GPU system being worth very much for a while as all these systems hit the market.

I bet some other crypto will surge over the next couple months just because of the shift in mining power looking for a place to go.

2 Likes

Everything on my rigs is maxed out - including CPU mining on zpool. All GPU’s, CPU’s and HDD’s are fully utilised. The only limiting factor to expansion is power capacity in my office.

1 Like

very same.
I dont know how you max out hdds though. im at ~30 HDDs in one rig and target is 70

1 Like

At the moment, all my HDD’s are spread across 10 rigs with one local full node and the rest are harvesters.

If I sell off rigs post merge, I’ll increase disk density onto fewer rigs.

1 Like

You are still making profit with CPU mining? Do you not pay for electricity?

1 Like

Not directly - office is fixed fee all inclusive (for now!)

3 Likes

Wait until the next rent increase comes round and they realise how much electric you’re using :wink:

3 Likes

I was mining Ryo Currency (GPU) and Monero (CPU) before summer happened. I want to mine something again this winter but I can’t justify mining that much at a loss. Maybe I’ll just fire up the plotter box and fill another drive this winter - the heat dries out my basement and isn’t wasted.

Mine ETH until the last second, then fire up NiceHash and let hashpower buyers fight to pay me the most BTC while the PoW market figures itself out again. If a particular alt seems to rise to the top… then consider mining/converting it myself. If NH+WTM show my current GPUs can’t make a profit… just leave them off for awhile.

2 Likes

Might put my Nicehash rig on again over the winter, it just makes a profit, but that means free heating - have to see what happens after the merge.

1 Like

Well, The Merge happened. At about 06:35 UTC this morning.

Currently, on my rigs back on NiceHash, the profit switching seems to be working well but overall revenues are down to about 25% of what it was on ETH (DaggerHashimoto). So far in the last 8 hours I’ve seen the following algorythms, switching quite often initially;

ZHash
GrinCuckatoo31
CuckooCycle
GrinCuckatoo32
KAWPOW
BeamV3
Octopus
Autolykos
ZelHash
ETCHash

Most rigs for now have settled predominantly on Autolykos (ERGO). This will, I am sure, change often over the coming days/weeks/months.

Will see what happens.

1 Like

How is situation now? According to whattomine nothing should be profitable to mine anymore unless you have free electricity.

1 Like

As stated above, revenues are about 25% of what it was mining ETH on the same hardware.

So yes, as many were already close to loss making mining ETH, they certainly will be as things stand right now unless there’s ‘free’ electricity.

1 Like

Checking in on my RTX 3080 today running NiceHash and the GROSS REVENUE to mine ALL DAY is $0.25. With electricity rates at $0.20, that will put you in the negative to continue mining even the most profitable altcoin.

GPU mining is dead. RIP.

1 Like

Certainly seems that way, my single 3080 would earn £0.39 a day before taking into consideration electric and tax costs. Put the new UK electric rate in and it’s -£1.71

2 Likes

On Nicehash, now down to about 1/6th the revenue of ETH just prior to the merge.

So for now at least, GPU mining is loss making unless you have free electricity or you want to seek out those new alt coins that pump initially…

2 Likes