Best multiple machines scenario?

I have only tried this with Flax, not Chia:
Ran 2 full nodes on same lan, both upnp, no port forwarding set
Wins where as expected for the total netspace, no issues found.

I think the whole 2 nodes on same network is not a case of “cannot work” but “likely to cause issues”

The remote harvester setup does seem a bit tricky, although I think if you sit down for it, it should be more than doable, and in the end the best option.

otherwise you could see if you have the option to create a vlan/guest access on your router, then you have two separate networks and it should also work.

VPN is another option, but opinions vary wildly on this approach.

In any case I found running a fork helps to determine if your network is ok, as you get much more frequent wins to compare to the estimates, although it is not certain this translates 1-1 to Chia client.

Thanks man,

What do you think if i’ll make local network and just share the Plot locations through LAN?

Works for me. MM on the plotter(s), shared drives to Farmer. The ‘official’ setup of multi systems is unnecessary.

That’ll work but in my experience the more plots you’re sharing over the network the slower your lookup times will be/get.

I just setup harvesters on the other machines; it literally takes me under five minutes to setup a harvester from scratch after you’ve done it a few times. (I’ve done it many times for the forks… eventually wrote a script to do it for me)

Share your CA folder from farmer over network or USB drive.

Harvester machine:
chia init -c /path/to/CA

Edit config.yaml and change farmer peer address to your farmer machine’s ip

Add plot directories

chia start harvester

Done

2 Likes

When I was plotting and farming before I used MadMax, I left the full node GUI open on both my plotter system and my farmer server. I had very little issues.

If you want to be safer and reduce risk, you could farm exclusively on a few Pis plus what you are farming on now. You would then need to decide if you wanted to VPN them or VLAN them together on the network. VPN is the cheapest option but is tricky to implement in Linux. VLANs/network segments is relatively easy to setup if you have the right switch, but getting the right switch can be pricey.

If I had the $$, I’d get another server, load it up with drives, and a VLAN capable switch. All so I can transition away from some of the flaky USB drives I have.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I set up a few machines that are all farming (totally ~300TiB) (no more plotting).
BUT each machine is independant (not through harvester) and they all use the exact same key.
Some are on the same network, some are different locations (hence different network).
It’s been few months and i still haven’t won any Chia. (Supposed to win witin 26-28 days).
My Question:
Can my model work?
For Example:

• Machine 1 is using Key A and have 500 plots in farming on Network A
  • Machine 2 is using Key A and have 500 plots in farming on Network A
  • Machine 3 is using Key A and have 500 plots in farming on Network B
  • Machine 4 is using Key A and have 500 plots in farming on Network B
  • Machine 5 is using Key A and have 500 plots in farming on Network C
  • Machine 6 is using Key A and have 500 plots in farming on Network C

Also, if i win Chia (hopefully soon), will it shows on all machines (in the wallet only) or only in the machine that won?

Let me know if i did anything wrong in my setup (i am not IT Guru, so even setting up harvester is quite technical for me (i read countless tutorial / guide and watch hours of video).
I appreciate your feedbacks.