Bladebit Cuda plots at compresison 7 in 3 minutes

Hi all, just wanted to share some stats with the following hardware, in case it helps anybody with a purchase decision:

Hewlett-Packard HP Z840 Workstation
256.0 GiB RAM (16 x 16GB sticks)
Intel® Xeon(R) CPU E5-2686 v4 @ 2.30GHz × 72
NVIDIA Corporation TU104 [GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER]
Temporary storage is a Seagate Firecuda 2TB
PCIE NVME Adapter is installed for 2 NVMEs (one OS, one the Firecuda)
Running on: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS

Overall cost of purchase (most second hand) less than $2k.

Completed Plot 1 in 183.39 seconds ( 3.06 minutes )

For somebody like myself who started with Chia in 2021 and ran plotting sessions for over an hour (before madmax), this is a pretty nice feeling.

Next bottleneck is the IO and getting the plots on to the NAS quick enough (which with my current setup isn’t possible unfortunately.)

Anybody have any suggestion to increase the IO over the network without installing 10Gbit in the house? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How are you connected now? I connected directly (in addition to the main network) Farmer and Plotr with 2.5Gbit (actually approx. 280 MB/s). If you have more net cards, you can easily set them to teaming in Win, for example 4x1Gbit. I don’t know about Ubuntu.

1 Like

I only have a 1 Gbit network connection and don’t really want to upgrade. I’m using USB 3.0 external disks (holding 5 x 18TB) and carrying them over to the farmers once they are full with plots (which happens in around 48 hours…)

So far I think that can work as a temp solution until the whole farm is replotted. The networking solution is something I still need to look at (with a direct connection between the 2 PCs, avoiding having to buy a 2.5 Gbit switch…

Yes, only two PCs can be connected without a switch. The card I have, AXAGON PCEE-G25 PCIe 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet, Realtek RTL8125B chip costs about $25.

1 Like

2.5G Gigabit switch Full Auto Game Loading Adapter Internet Splitter RJ45 switch | eBay

2 Likes

It has only one 2.5Gbit port !!! Only put three network cards in the next PC.

Sorry I just grabbed something quick from ebay that said 2.5 :joy: :joy:

NEW TP-Link TL-SG108-M2 8-Port 2.5G Multi-Gigabit Unmanaged Network Switch 845973089764 | eBay

Is this better :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

5 port:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6BWVMJT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00

or

8 port:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6BS8X3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00

I purchased one. It had a dead port.
I mentioned it in a review, and the manufacturer sent me a new one, and told me to keep one with the dead port.

So they are reputable.

1 Like

Amazon.com: Plugable 2.5G USB C and USB to Ethernet Adapter, 2-in-1 Adapter Compatible with USB C/Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.0, USB-C to RJ45 2.5 Gigabit LAN Compatible with Mac and Windows : Electronics
So we dont have to find slots maybe.

1 Like

I am using this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0871ZHCKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

So I do not lose a physical port.
Although, I have not had an occasion to make use of the ports, it is comforting to have them available.

It works great, with one exception, which is somewhat bad:
When I reboot, it falls off the grid (so to speak). It is just not there, according to Windows.

I have to unplug it, and plug it back in, and all is well. Seems odd, and will be a problem if I am not around after a reboot.

Perhaps there is a setting to automatically reconnect? If there is, I have not found it.

EDIT:
@drhicom yours is a better fit, I just noticed.
It is 2.5 G, where is mine is 1G, and not suitable for the speed being sought.

Its just a matter of time, somebody will come out with that hub and 2.5 lan port.

Time’s up drhicom >
https://www.amazon.com/QGeeM-Multiport-Compatible-Thunderbolt-SurfaceBook/dp/B09JSHYGN6/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2R2B7RD237JE3&keywords=USB+to+Ethernet+Adapter%2C+Hub+with+RJ45+2.5gb&qid=1681910897&s=electronics&sprefix=usb+to+ethernet+adapter%2C+hub+with+rj45+2.5gb%2Celectronics%2C105&sr=1-6

Don’t think so… review are terrible: The adapter peaks out around 250-300Mbps but averages about 200 most of the time

Looks good, I didn’t see that it comes with an adapter for USB-A to USB-C.
Amazon.com: Syntech USB C Female to USB Male Adapter Pack of 3 [Aluminum Shell, High Stability] Type C Charger Cable Power Converter Compatible with iPhone 14 Plus Pro Apple Watch Series 8 AirPods CarPlay, etc. : Cell Phones & Accessories

1 Like

Agreed…exists…but I wouldn’t buy it :face_vomiting: …way too many PCI-e x1 2.5GB adapters available that actually work…at 2.5GB. Everyone (nearly) has a x1 slot avail unless u have one of those shrunk PCs :rofl: