Bladebit question

I started in June and have only 1645 so far, bug chugging on some dell machines making plots filling a drive the moving to main machine.

1 Like

Damn you @enderTown this shit ain’t fair! I want it!!!

1 Like

Still interested in noise optimization you could do :slight_smile:

Forget about AC, you don’t need low temps like a datacenter does, any outside air is low temp enough unless you live in the sahara desert. Just crank up the cfm-m3/minute and you’re good to go!

1 Like

Do you have no issue with overclocking the RAM that high?

So, the RAM came in. About to wrap up my first 24 hours of plotting. Plot times on the dual 2690’s coming in under 16 minutes with Bladebit! Consistently in between 15 and 16 minutes. Probably will increase my output by roughly 20% vs the dual madmax solution I was running with numa. It was an expensive 20%, but I’ve got all the RDIMMs I can sell I guess and I can sell off some of the LRDIMMs when I get done with them…

2 Likes

NICE - your next bottleneck is probably going to be physically writing the plots to the farming disks.

Seems to be running pretty smoothly actually! I’ve set up one of my old nvme’s as a buffer disk, and BB flushes the plot to the buffer, then I use a little python program I found on Github that moves plots from the buffer to the farming drives. It can move multiple plots to 2 different disks simultaneously. Not even having to use that feature currently. It seems to be keeping up well.

Edit - I still need to figure out why the fuck I haven’t hit a block in 120 days now!?!?!? I’m at 500 TiB now with no wins for months!!!

1 Like

Care to share the link? Sounds great! I’m working on something similar with my BB plotters because that’s exactly right - the only way to get around the final disk bottleneck is to write to lots of final disks at once!

Seems to work pretty good. I guess I should test multi plot moving a little more thouroughly. I haven’t really tried it much, but it looks to me like you just add multiple final drive locations in the config and your buffer drive and run it. I just run it in a split tmux with Bladebit. Working great. Let me know if you have any issues setting it up. He has pretty good instructions on the Git.

1 Like

One of the most fascinating things about chia farming is all the different setups people put together. All external, all internal, mix of both, qnap, mediasonic external hubs/nas, jbods, desktops, laptops! Windows, Linux and some even on macOS!

I decided to go with Fractal Design Define 7 XL cases as I needed the portability option and also had to be mindful of the noise. @enderTown knows more than anyone here how loud these things can get and prevented me from going with a traditional server setup this time around. I can fit about 2PB as it stands so far and I am pretty happy at the moment. Mine is not the most cost effective setup, but efficiency, portability & flexibility tends to come at a higher cost upfront.

Maybe in a few years down the line I will explore other options if I have a basement I can fully manage and keep away from the general living areas.

1 Like