Blockchain db grows 207MB per day

Thank you.

Actually, what I meant was, nobody at Chia is stupid enough not to realize that this is an issue and real potential obstacle for Chia adoption. And I believe they are working on mitigation.

I tried it because there was no disk space. But it made an error because of no disk space. :sweat_smile:

Funny thing is we are filling big capacity HDDs by the dozens but we are worried about the size of the blockchain database :wink:

You are missing the point. Please see my responses on this aspect earlier.

1 Like

What is surprising is that this wasn’t clear from the time the Chia blockchain was designed. I mean Mr. Bram Cohen is being traded as this algorithmic genius and then there is such a fundamental design flaw that has to be ‘addressed’ and ‘mitigated’ just a few months after launch. Chia doesn’t seem to be that well designed anymore, does it?

This is new for me, I didn’t know that my small raspberry with 64gb sd size was containing a blockhhain entire copy (full node validator). Now I’m worring about It and finding a solution. Maybe Chia team must advertise a minimum disck space for the chia client install?

I ran the vacuum command on the blockchain DB and it reduced size from 18.3GB to about 16GB.
Also tried wallet db and it reduced from 5.33 to 5.30

1 Like

Let’s check back in a month and see how the bluebox timelords will have worked their magic!

1 Like

I had to move stuff off my 500GB NVME drive the other day. I’m also farming nine alt coins in a VM so that takes up a lot of space as well, I do have a 1TB NVME drive I can swap to though when I get the time, but am also concerned how big the DBs are going to grow, but hopefully storage prices will come down over time and grow in size.

1 Like

2022, Jan 26th update: 43.3 GB for the blockchain db (aprox height = 1,477,610)
Wallet file is 9 GB

imagen

Doesnt look good long term for my system SSD :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey what kind of file name is .__-..–= :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I smudged it using mspaint. I was in a hurry and didnt want to investigate if displaying your wallet number was a security concern or not. /lol

1 Like

How big is your system disk? I just bought some more SSD 500gb on ebay at a good price, got today formatted ok.

256 GB. and I still have over 80 Gb free space in it. But that’s not the point is it? :slight_smile:
If it keeps growing at this rate soon we’ll need 18 TB just for the db , haha

A company (NIMBUS) has a 50TB and 100TB SSD for big money, wish others would follow to bring down the price…

Something I have learned years ago is that even if we had the technology to make quantum computers and 100 PTB SSDs next year. They are going to spread things out over the years and release things drop by drop, slowly increasing size and performance. They earn more money that way :frowning:

After creating this thread, I learned it is not the DB growth in GBs that should concern us, but the wear: Chia performs vast amounts of temp writing (or rather: database updating) which isn’t reflected in the DB growth numbers.

The last measurements I saw a few months ago said ~60TB/year, up from ~50TB/year 1-2 months earlier. It was discussed extensively on Reddit. I am guessing that we are currently at 70TB/year or more since transaction levels keep rising.

Unless you bought a high grade SSD as your system SSD, you absolutely should move the DB to another SSD. Many 256GB SSDs shipped with computers are only 100TBW or less. Chia will chew it up in a year or less. And you don’t want to test the endurance limit of your system SSD :wink:

2 Likes

Good point, yes. Actually I do have a separate NVME M2 SSD for my profile folders (everything but the AppData and system stuff), and I could move the Chia DB there, provided I knew how. :smiley:

What are the steps to keep the main instalation where it is and just change location of the db files? Or did you mean reinstall in the other location?

Check the following thread on Reddit, which has the discussion about chia wear on the SSD as well as steps to move the DB or the entire .chia folder.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chia/comments/rayo84/is_running_chia_hard_on_your_boot_drive_boot_ssd/

1 Like

I moved my .chia directory to a dedicated nvme ssd on Windows using directory junction. Let me know if someone wants to know how (I’d need to look it up as I don’t remember exact commands)

1 Like