Can Chia even support fair pools?

I’ve watched a part of the Zoom call and I think I understand the proposed solution now> Please correct me if I’m wrong (trying to distill it to layman’s understandable terms).

The Pool can assign a (much reduced compared to the actual mainnet) difficulty per pool participant. The pool’s objective is to adjust the difficulty so that the participant can provide challenge solutions at to the seeds coming of the official chain at that reduced challenge difficulty at a predicted (high) rate (default 300 per day).

The Pool does not actually know the plotspace of the farmer, it just knows that this farmer A can maintain my rate at difficulty X, whereas farmer B can only do it at rate Y<X.

It then can distribute the pool rewards based on the relative difficulties each farmer could maintain. Like mainnet, it doesn’t know you actually have the plots, it just knows you win the (reduced) challenges which should be directly correlated with the number of real plots you have. (this will put more load on your harvester and disks you are farming from, but not enough to be a real hindrance)

Uniqueness is enforced not per plot but per farmer key, through a unique contract on the blockchain that signs the pool portion of the reward to the pool. While you can move pools, every unique farmer key (which is embedded in the farmer’s plots) can only be in one of these contracts at a time, and there is enough of an enforced switching delay so you can’t quickly swap pools whenever you win a block and back.

Is this about right?

7 Likes