Can I keep two wallets syncing at the same time?

I have two wallets, and I use both. Is there a way I can keep them both in sync with the Chia CLI?

1 Like

I am afraid you cannot.

It would be really nice, if wallets would be treated the same as harvesters (could be started on different machines, and more wallets could be run in parallel).

Potentially, the problem is with UI. In order to start a wallet, I think that you need to provide mnemonics or a fingerprint, and UI has no provision to provide multiple of those, as the whole security thing is kind of an afterthought (you need that fingerprint to start UI, not to select which wallet you want to check). Maybe that was the driving factor that wallets are kind of secondary citizens.

1 Like

Could an additional full node be started via second computer connected via a VPN service, such that the second computerā€™s Chia related activity would all be funneled through the VPN connection?

If that would work, then perhaps a second wallet could be kept synced behind the same home or business router?

Maybe it doesnā€™t need to be that complicated (VPN). If you want to start a second full node, maybe you can change config.yaml on that box to ā€œfull_node / enable_upnp: falseā€, and if that is what it looks like is, it will not start UPnP with your router, so there should be no conflicts between those two full nodes.

Although, that is still kind of a heavy solution, as you need to run another full node just to make that wallet be a normal citizen.

I am not familiar with the dependencies for running only the wallet. Maybe you do not have to start another full node?
Perhaps it is as simple as ā€œchia start walletā€?

My comment was based on avoiding a conflict with Chiaā€™s syncing to more than one machine that shares the same gateway (the same public IP address). You do not want challenges to be forwarded to the wrong computer, while at the same time you want both computers to receive wallet related packets via the same gateway.

I figured that a VPN connection might accomplish that?
If it could be done more simplistically, I am all for that. But how?

Why not using Virtual Machine, and install Chia on it. See if it works?

Too much overhead. VMs are slow and use a lot of additional RAM.

You donā€™t have to run two full nodes. You can run one full node and one wallet-only.
Thing is both look at ~/.chia/mainnet/config/config.yaml and the wallet-only needs a small change in config.yaml (changing ā€˜localhostā€™ in the wallet section of config.yaml to the ip of your full node).
The wallet-only is very lightweight as for CPU and network load.
You could run it on another machine/laptop or a small VM, I donā€™t a way of running both in parallel on the same box/OS.

1 Like

Why would you say that VMs are slow? They basically run at the raw CPU speed or really close to it. The perceived slowness is usually due to using video emulation (slow UI) instead of a dedicated video card (if UI is needed), or not assigning enough CPU cores. As far as RAM usage, it is still much less than setting up another box.

You can install a headless Linux VM using one/two cores, and giving it 500-1,000 MB RAM, and it will really be worth it (e.g., as apache, mariadb, php server, or for chia testing). Try using Virtual Box (Oracle, hypervisor type 2), really worth a try and you will love it. (If you have a more powerful machine, you can try any hypervisor type 1, to run at bare metal speed a couple of OSes with dedicated H/W.)

On my i5-9600K, I have full Fedora, MacOS, a couple of headless CentOSes, and run what I need at a time. Much cleaner solution than dealing with multiple boxes. But, I also still have few stand-alone CentOS boxes that run 24/7.