• Disabled UFW
  • Flushed iptables
  • It’s a fresh new install, using latest Chia GUI

Port open check tool still shows closed on 8444 @ my external IP

Pinging my Ubuntu machine from my windows machine using powershell goes fine
Test-NetConnection 192.168.1.212 -p 8444
TcpTestSucceeded : True

Any ideas?:pray:

(EDIT: @dchuk embedded @KingNeme’s images)

What router is that? What is it connected to? (Doesn’t look like a cable/phone company router page to me)

If you’re using a double-router setup like I am, you’ll need to port-forward 8444 from that device to your internal router. i.e. I have comcast xFi forwarding it to my Amplifi router, and the Amplifi forwarding to the internal pc.

You nailed it. I don’t have a standard network setup. The router you see in the screenshots is connected to an antenna-router since I live in a rural area and there is no fiber or dsl.

So I have to ask my provider to forward 8444 to my internal asus router’s IP and then from my asus router forward it to my rig?

What about upnp? Keep it enabled together with dmz and Nat and port forwarding?

Currently I am DMZ + forwarding + open nat + upnp and it’s still locked probably due to what you are saying (missing forwarding on the external router)

Yes you need to set up forwarding on the router that is actually fronting your setup (it is what has the public ip). I don’t think upnp is relevant if you’re forwarding the ports explicitly, not sure about dmz.

1 Like

(As an aside, you can upload images directly to the forum so they render inline in your posts)

1 Like

I would suggest you close all of that and just keep the port forwarding. The DMZ part is especially dangerous so consider that at least and maybe even UPnP so random devices in your network don’t open ports without your knowledge.

Good luck

2 Likes

Yeah I was gonna say, DMZ is super dangerous, that exposes ALL ports on the computer by default to the Internet! Be VERY careful with that!

Forwarding one port to a specific IP is no big deal, really… (well depending on the port)… but putting an entire computer right up against the internet with no firewall protection at all is :scream: scary!

1 Like

I would like to keep UPnP enabled to have an easier life with all the devices… you know, consoles, gaming PCs, different softwares. It’s a bit annoying to forward everything manually. However, is it incompatible with port forwarding? Can I keep both on?

(As an aside, you can upload images directly to the forum so they render inline in your posts)

Oh okay thanks! Newbie here

Yeah I was gonna say, DMZ is super dangerous, that exposes ALL ports on the computer by default to the Internet! Be VERY careful with that!

Forwarding one port to a specific IP is no big deal, really… (well depending on the port)… but putting an entire computer right up against the internet with no firewall protection at all is :scream: scary!

Oh yeah I expected that, I did it just because I couldn’t figure it out why my port is still closed

The fact is, does it need to be green/open on port checker tool? I mean, my rig is synced, plotting and looks like it’s working. Does it need to be seen as open from the outside?

1 Like