Chia Announces Partnership with World Bank as Project Atari

Far for me to defend the World Bank or it’s policies, but the Heritage Foundation is just a Lobby group and one that was instrumental in developing and promoting the Neo-liberalism (market-capitalism) of the Reagan/Thatcher years.

In any case I think the Environmental Warehouse is quite a good project. As I know the many problems that exist surrounding the current implementation of CO2 credits

One way of looking at that could be that Chia’s focus is now 100% banking. Farming could be considered sidelined.

That is the absolute most incorrect interpretation one can possibly take away from this.

A strong base of farmers is the critical foundation to the network even being useful in any of the scenarios we have envisioned.

I get that you are bitter about certain decisions and directions we have taken things, and are unsatisfied with the responses we’ve given to you in conversations about it, but I don’t understand why you have to share blatantly incorrect information framed to upset other people and just stressed them needlessly about things that aren’t true.

10 Likes

As further down explained in that post, it is also based on your statement that Chia has basically neglected all the issues. I have also explained that without us farmers, there is no Chia, so you are just restating what I said, and trying to spin it and use it against me.

Please, don’t push the blame on other people on the forum that is mainly dedicated to helping other people to make Chia software work. if not this forum, I would not get my setup right, as Chia.net has different priorities (your words). And I am also helping other people to get up to speed now. Please, respect that.

On the other hand, it is understandable that you don’t agree with my opinions, and you could easily provide some better answer, but you didn’t. Instead, it looks to me that you are on a damage-control mission just trying to whack stuff around to deflect those issues. Just give us some timelines for fixing issues that we face every day, more or less that is all what is being asked for.

My statement: " We have always known there was a lot of room for optimization in our code, particularly for full nodes running on low end hardware like Raspberry Pi4, and like all software projects we have to balance carefully between spending resources on optimization against adding critical new functionality ." (emphasis yours)

Obvious translation: “If we have 10 optimizations we want to explore and implement, and 10 new features we need to add, and can only do 4 things a week for the next 5 weeks, we will do 2 optimizations and 2 new features a week for 5 weeks to finish the work.”

Your translation: “We intentionally refuse to do any optimizations because reasons”.

I’m sorry but you are letting your personal bias deliberately misinform people and that’s not cool. Look at the code commits and release notes going back the last 9 months since mainnet launch and anyone would see we have not chosen to neglect anyone.

11 Likes

I guess, you don’t quite understand what optimization in software development means.

Just take a look how long it took to add a password to mnemonics, and how worthless that implementations is (reasoning behind that in another thread). It should not be released at all, as it improves nothing (mnemonics are still in clear), but causes new problems. Still, taking your approach, that password implementation will also require optimization, where basically design was screwed up, before a single line of code was written. You don’t optimize bad code or bad design, you rearchitect that and rewrite it. You optimize code that is properly working but could be further improved. You can check my other comment about what I saw wrong with the code. Again that was not about code being not optimized, but rather how badly written that code was - basically by an entry level dev without any guidance. The biggest problem for me is the lack of guidance in that statement.

And now, you are again trying to shift the blame to low end devices. I mean RPis, and 15 years old laptops (again, your words). However, you fail to recognize that dust storm caused not just 10-20% of net space drop, but rather 50-80% of nodes to fail. I highly doubt that that number of failed nodes are mainly RPis or 15 yesrs old laptops, as you are trying to imply. I have asked you for a farm size distribution of those failed nodes, but you didn’t respond. Yet, without any data on hand, you are taking an easy road to find a scapegoat and bash on it.

Again, I am a dev, you are a person that is trying to damage control. That’s it. It is clear that you have no data, but are trying to make an argument, so no point to continue. As mentioned above, you are still not committing to shift focus to address the most burning issues this forum is dealing with.

Please, look at what Dust Storm creator has to say about that. As for my opinion about that, since when the number of commits is a representation of code quality? The more bugs you have, the more quick commits you will need, thus those numbers will be high. At least, that is how I would look at that.

I have muted Jacek for the next few months in my chiaforum settings…. I don’t want to even read what he has written here, but I can imagine it’s full of invective.

8 Likes

@sargonas

I’ll try to keep this short. Just know that I have been invested in Chia since around the time the price fell to around the $400 range. I wasn’t involved (invested) from day 1. Needless to say I’m a believer in the project and what you’re trying to accomplish. For me the journey thus far has had its emotional ups and downs.

All that said, it’s hard for me to express how much it means to me to have you address the comments made here in the thread regarding the future or support of farming for Chia. I’ve spent the past day or so with such mixed emotions and confusion. Thanks to what you’ve written, nothing could be more clear. It was very impactful what you said and how you said it.

Coming from anyone else I’m not sure I would have anywhere near the same sense of relief. The fact you come to contribute here and do your best to involve the farmers and Chia community speaks volumes about yourself as a person and as a person who ultimately represents the company, Chia. Your contributions do a LOT for creating and sustaining interest in Chia. The community has great reach and you seem very aware of that fact.

I am very grateful and relieved right now. Thank you.

8 Likes

Thank you, I genuinely appreciate those words.

it’s tricky because it’s hard to be everywhere, all the time, and engage with everyone and also do my “day job”. At the same time, some of this IS part of my job, or at least that of my team as a whole. I need to pick and choose where my efforts are best spent and sometimes I just have to let detractors/trolls do their thing without responding because it is an un-winnable situation.

That said, at times I see things said that give peple such a very wrong idea that I feel it’s my duty to them to clear the air, without getting dragged down into a needless debate in the process. It’s challenging at times but hearing the positive reinforcement that my efforts are worth it is always great and lets me know I’m picking the right struggles for the right reasons!

8 Likes

After spending so much time across different fora, I now tend to block everybody who is trolling, overly negative, argumentative etc.

Time is better spent away from these type of people IMO.

2 Likes

It came as a shock to me to see that first Chia’s real use is linked to the World Bank. I’m not going to lie, I had mixed feelings about it, the Atari project however is an ultimate good but I feel there is more than the eyes can see.

My main concern is with what the banks are trying to do by implementing CBDC and that Chia might be involved somehow in the future by sustaining it and promoting it. Of course banks want to maintain their wealth and supremacy.

But I hope you will use your power and influence for the good of the people and not for the good of the few.

Regards

4 Likes

I believe it was always stated that one of the objectives of chia was to change the banking landscape by making it more transparent. …It is one of the aspects of the project that appealed to me…

4 Likes

They said in previous AMAs that their priority right now is atari+asteroid and not client speedup, but have also acknowledged that there’s a lot of improvement to be done and will get to it eventually. When the Dust Storm came along, they reacted and produced a new version with improvements. It’s fair to say that they are being reactive and not proactive on this issue right now.

It’s also normal for a company to prioritize their work ressources where it’s most needed. They haven’t touched the prefarm and run on VC funding which is limited, they also have hard deadlines for the IPO. The Dust Storm was a black swan event and it barely put a dent in the network.

So all in all, I have a pretty optimistic view of how the Chia team is handling the situation, and I’m still looking forward to helping the Chia network’s security with my drives.

6 Likes

I view the World Bank project with Chia Inc very positively.

Many countries are moving forward with carbon credits, which will be directly quantifiable with Direct Capture Technology already in use.

https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/video/2019/12/02/the-world-bank-group-climate-warehouse

Note the Chia Inc Logo in the video. :smiley:

The Chia Blockchain provides an immutable ledger, so the parties involved can at least agree on their claims and commitments; enabling proper auditing, payments, and planning.

4 Likes