Chia breakeven comparision to other coins

Hi, I recently read something that says at the current cost of a RTX3080 Ti, it takes roughly 500 days to breakeven mining ETH. Has anyone done a similar analysis on XCH assuming $X per TB for harddrives? I wonder if that’s a way to compare XCH price vs. that of other coins. If I did my math correctly, assuming $17 per TB, it will take over 2.1 years for XCH to breakeven ignoring other hardware costs which puts XCH at a disadvantage. Of course, this ignores electricity cost which is a huge component of ETH mining. So I wonder if anyone as done something more through.

Those calculation depend on power cost and xch price, so it differs a lot from country to country and change every month, as xch continues to decrease.

About 2yrs sounds ok, but how much will the factors change during that time?

I have a 3080ti and I thought I couldnt really mine with it due to LHR. But even without LHR, mining is barely profitable in my country with 0.4$/kWh.

welcome to germany?

I found that hdds are more efficient in regards Money/power consumption. Also a hdd should last longer than a gpu.
ergo the rewards/payoff must be quicker for gpus I guess.

You might want to look into this: New Nvidia RTX LHR Unlocker Opens Up 100% Of Ethereum Hashrate | Headlines | News | CoinMarketCap

1 Like

0.4$/kWh is ridiculous ! I’ve just had my yearly updated price from my provider , 0.35p/kWh in the UK (0.47$/kWh ).

I’m jealous !

This is malware. ChumpChangeXD did a video with a computer security pro running the software to test it.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR RUN THE FAKE 100% LHR UNLOCKER

How is that even possible with the new price cap being 28.5p???

No need to do an analysis. You can see on pools’ websites how much you can expect in earnings.
At let’s say 20 USD per TB (for a farm large enough we can ignore the plotter setup price, or assume the 20 USD per TB price already covers for that) you get 0.678662 XCH per month per 100 TB (Flexpool). That is roughly 54.3 USD. 80W is a realistic estimate for running 100 TB. That is 5.6 dollars per month in electricity for 10 cents per kWh.
100 TB will cost you 2000 dollars. So you’d need around 40 months for breakeven. A bit more if you add the electricity cost of the plotting phase.

1 Like

I don’t know, you tell me, I haven’t had time to look into it yet but I will be shopping around.

That is a fixed tariff, it is so high to hedge against any risks of prices going further up next October. Just stick to default tariffs for now (standard variable on direct debit).

1 Like

Geez, I’d do as methdial says, it’s about 18p pkwh for elec and gas cheaper to, with same company.

i wonder if anyone takes into account that Chia block rewards will halve every three years?!?
So in little over two years now a block ‘won’ only rewards 1 XCH.
That will influence breakeven a bit I think…

1 Like

Sure, depends alot on demand though.

XCH price you mean? Then yes of course the most important factor in breakeven/win/loss.
I’m hoping it will stay at current value for a while (and netspace with it) so farming my current storage yields current earnings without having to invest even more. And after a couple of years farming/holding … :champagne:
I’m not alone in that I think :grin:

2 Likes

You can break even in about 2 to 3 years when you sell the hardware.

Indeed, if we can get to $240 a coin at that point, we should all be good.