Chia complete guide - Review, Best Hardware, Plotting & Farming

Here is another update! (3D printing FTW! @md-chia )

I removed top fans to add 3 more HDDs and found a way to install two more 80mm fans (Amazon.com : noctua 80mm) in front panel, mounted on a 3d printed converter. Here is the STL file Fractal Define 7 XL - Dual 80mm to 140mm Fan Adapter by avivsworld - Thingiverse

2 Likes

Just bought my first Seagate XEOS X18 18TB. Also received the long waited multibracket kit (no 3D printing version this time :cry:) so i installed it right away.

I just discovered the be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 PSU and after watching their video Dark Power Pro 12 | Product Presentation | be quiet! - YouTube, i want to have it badly :slight_smile: not only for its constant power delivery but also because it has 16x SATA and 8x MOLEX connectors which is great for my 20 HDDs rig.

Currently i use a Corsair CS750M with 8x SATA connectors only with bunch of splitters :confused:

Is anyone here using the Dark Power one ?

Splitters all the way! It’s a lot cheaper and you’re not drawing lots of power anyway.

1 Like

The case got so heavy that i can barely move it… some wheels would be great to move it around every time i work something on it. I found some 3D printing adapters which looks great Fractal Design - Define 7 Compact Wheel Foot by TheGadgetDoctor - Thingiverse, BUT not sure if those will hold so i bought a ready made pc holder with wheels like this orico pc holder

I love this topic, keep posting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thank you! I will sure do :slight_smile:

I was able to add one more HDD on the bottom of the case, i first tough that i could add 3 more HDDs there like in this picture
but i don’t understand how, i think that is for 2.5" hdds only.

Here is how i installed it. 20 HDDs + 1 SSD so far, there is room left for one or two more :slight_smile:

Two more fans added inside the case. one is close to top hdds and one at the bottom where I used 3D printed (Simple and minimal 140mm fan stand 15° by TJZ77 - Thingiverse) stands

(please ignore the cables, i will do a nice cable management when everything is finished :sweat_smile:)

Another print i made is a power button and connectors cover Fractal Define 7 Power Button and Connector Cover by Bluebird1800 - Thingiverse

1 Like

Yup it says so on the picture “2.5 trays”. How heavy is it now? Have you tried putting the rig on a scale?

In other examples those HDDs looks like 3.5", eh… anyway i managed to add at least one haha… Not sure how heavy but i can barely lift it… i am afraid not to brake top of the case when lifting it… :))

Ever wondered what is the power consumption for a HDD minig/farming rig ? I use TP Link HS110 smart plug, good to have full control over your rigs.

1 Like

Here is the current state of my both WD BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD 1TB after plotting and re-plotting 67 TB of plots :upside_down_face:

hddsentinel

wd2b

Can you recommend any sata hba’s?
I’ve never used one before, and I’m kinda lost for looking, Aliexpress got me really confused.

Probably need some with at least 12 ports minimum.

Thanks for the thread.