Chia Cooperative

But how to phone in to it? You need another server/VM in the data center. NetApp are beyond intimidating with their licensing for every other command, but what killed it for me was I couldn’t get info would this particular controller accept disks larger than 8TB or just ignore the extra capacity like they’re in a habit to do. With just an IOM it would work just like a JBOD shelf, but these are available at any moment. Controllers however are really expensive and rare to get hands on, and NetApp NFS is unparalleled, so it was a hard pass.

Yeah just build up a cheap 1u, that’s what we did. So you do need a “brains” server. I went with the lowest end Kaby Lake Xeon I could buy and 16gb ecc ram, and a 256gb M.2 SSD. Just really, really, really simple stuff.

2 Likes

I’ve filed the necessary paperwork for the non-profit registration and am just waiting on the issuance.

Looking to start building out our first cage this week with 30x 946ED’s fully blocked with 16TB platters, which gets us to just about 43.2PB of total storage space at first go.

Anyone interested can join the newsletter and I’ll shoot out an email as soon as we’re ready to start accepting new members:

5 Likes