Chia is impossible to mine as a home user without pooling

Okay @Voodoo, anecdote time. I had a spare laptop laying around in the office, and all kinds of random disks amounting to about 6 TB, added a disk because I could afford it and will use it for backups in the future when I need some extra space and this Chia thing is not paying off.

So that’s me, a tiny plotter working on making my 150 lottery tickets the rest of the month, keeping it running for the next few years.

Expensive? No. Was I going to use any of this hardware for anything else? Absolutely not.

So yeah, there’s loads of people with more money to waste on this but there’s enough people like me who are just enjoying the ride.

You’re welcome to be skeptical of course but really, so many people are currently in it to make a quick buck. They’ll get bored and move on to the next fad. Then we’re left with the peeps enjoying the possibilities of a possibly sustainable coin. I’m looking forward to the next 10 years!

3 Likes

I wasn’t actually trying to be skeptical per se, but I it just kinda turned out that way :sweat_smile:

It’s just that I can see the point where some people are coming from when comparing Chia to other crypto’s. And if you want to have any sort of chance at this moment to win a block, you gotta get yourself some pretty serious hardware. I do think the threshold for Chia is higher than others. My assumption is that most people who mine crypto do so to make money and therefor look at it very differently then you do.

I just have very conflicting thoughts on cryptocurrencies and now for the first time i’m actually joining in and so far i’m enjoying it.

Neh… if you have anything laying around it will do, you can start slow, maybe pools will help soon. This is already much better than the stupid amount of power it takes to mine most coins and remember: the plots you make once compete in this “lottery” for years. Unlike mining coins where you constantly need to keep mining at all your GPU/asic power (now there’s an investment that gets worthless very quick…).

1 Like

Ps. I’ll be pedantic here: every plot has the exact same chance! :wink:

just like every lottery ticket has the same chance as the next ticket but obviously the more you have the better the chance.

I do hear what you’re saying.

With the GPU based (proof of work) cryptos, you can run the video card at 100% 24/7 and it’s, at least in theory, no worse for the wear after 3-4 years. But with Chia, you are burning up SSDs to make plots that eventually turn those SSDs into trash – they can’t be re-used.

The 12/16/18tb hard drives that are used to farm the plots can be re-used for quite a while though. Farming is a very low intensity activity, since the farmer only checks plots that pass the initial harvester proof check, the disks aren’t very active.

The problem is that using a lot of electricity is bad for the planet:

According to the Web site Digiconomist, a single bitcoin transaction uses the same amount of power that the average American household consumes in a month, and is responsible for roughly a million times more carbon emissions than a single Visa transaction.

So OK great, people with a basic level of tech competency can eke out a whopping $300/month of Universal Basic Income thanks to bitcoin going 6x in a year:

(This assumes you can afford the initial $300-$1000 investment in the GPU, I am not sure which minimum GPU will guarantee you $300 of income per month, can anyone confirm?)

But in the meantime, electricity use spikes? I guess this is OK big picture if solar really takes off, and everyone has solar to offset this GPU Universal Basic Income grinding? It also assumes bitcoin stays at this level, or even increases in price… so many questions… but I feel proof-of-space has to be the way forward. :seedling::man_shrugging:

1 Like

The problem i have is that the current chia plotting/farming solution is not reliable enough - there are far too many SILENT failure modes and it requires a decent amount of expertise to find out what the problem is

you know that only too well codinghorror

I have 924 plots and no rewards - solid/reliable harvester timings, single node/farmer, samba access to 3 plottters + a rake of local SAS drives

01:04:02.156   4 plots were eligible  Found 0 : 1.17288 s. Total 924 plots
01:04:10.567   1 plots were eligible  Found 0 : 1.06941 s. Total 924 plots
01:04:18.543   3 plots were eligible  Found 0 : 1.35180 s. Total 924 plots

2 weeks in - bad luck or bad setup ?

A pool would nail that in hours - we shouldn’t be in production without at least 1 as a setup sanity check

3 Likes

Pooling can’t get here fast enough. I can’t wait till folks are getting regular fractional payouts. Maybe the signal to noise ratio will improve drastically.

3 Likes

Sure, but Chia is a few months old whereas Bitcoin is already 10+ years old?

You can’t really expect the same from a newborn and a teenager, right? :wink:

1 Like

I’m a fan of both approaches… My 2 year old absurd gaming rig had TWO 2080Ti cards, and around sometime in February I discovered NiceHash. With those cards, I was getting ~$10/day… Then I realized that a new 3090 outperforms the two 2080’s, and would technically pay for itself (at retail price) in about 6 months, so I got another machine with a 3090 and now generate more than $20/day (sometimes 40)… In comes Chia, and now these machines can be doing both… so I have ANOTHER machine arriving tomorrow, with a 3090 and a ton of drives. I’ll be gaining $900-$1000/month in BTC, plus plotting like crazy. What a world!

3 Likes

This post reminds of me of r/chia and a lot of people complaining there.

2 Likes

Ha

My 38 a day plotter runs on 24 sas drives and cost less than $700 (second hand) so no exploding NVMEs here.

Does sound like some is very salty about missing out on the large Chia wind falls we got at the start.

By the way my 3070 won’t make nowhere near $300 dollars after electric. You mate has been lying. P.S. I sold the 3070 to fund HDs there was way more profits in chia. I get about £90 on nicehash -£40 lecy so £50 profits that is no where near the $300. £600 a year. Now with chia I have got profits of $9k and a farming and server I can fleebay for more monies than I paid.

Pooling is coming there is a date, can we move on now?

1 Like

OMG gpu’s are gone mad on nicehash rtx 3060ti rtx 2070 super & rtx 1070ti guess i can wait for my lottery win

Projected Weekly Income 0.004818 BTC ≈ £195.16

Projected Monthly Income 0.020650 BTC ≈ £836.41

Projected Yearly Income 0.251237 BTC ≈ £10,176.37

1 Like

I got £1.60 mining for 12 hours on 3070 about 6 weeks ago.

that does not sound right or was that during the dip

1 Like

This price of BTC hasn’t changed too much recently, but my NiceHash take has almost doubled. I withdrew 4 days ago and have already accumulated $180.

nicehash

Agreed something must have been wrong with my machine.

im getting $6 a day now on gtx1660 eth price has gone up was $2

check your hash rate on the rtx 3060ti i’m getting 60-61 MH on high setting

That’s pretty sick deal! You mean $700 including the sas drives?
I can find plenty of server parts but nothing close to that price