Chia-Network down?

Chinese pools appear to be weathering this storm remarkably well.

One of my unpooled plots farmed 2 XCH today on my 16-core 5950X. :joy:

:joy:

3 Likes

It is kind of scary thing, though. Reading again that explanation, this issue was created by potentially one guy with two wallets, and a script to sit in a tight loop sending mojos between those two accounts.

Yes, I understand that “the fix” is to apply some charges, to push those mojo xfrs down the pipe, but when nothing else is to be done (no other high-value xfrs), there is nothing else to process but those mojos, so we are potentially back to square one.

This crap started yesterday, today we had three bigger waves. I guess, seeing that his/her script does damage, I would think that tomorrow two more people will join that game, as it looks like for now, it is easy to play that game.

1 Like

It will make the network more resilient, better now than later.

That is what test network is for, and QA people. I doubt those test networks are being used to create such scenarios, neither I think that they have QA dept.

Maybe the aim of the excessive transactions is to decrease Effective Time To Win. TTW is proportionally shorter when farms go stale.

2 Likes

But then, your farm needs to not be affected by those stales. How to pull that off (self pooling ??).

Although, that is a really good catch.

Well, the farms with overbuilt hardware win.

1 Like

Although, I don’t see any strain on my boxes, rather just choked upload speeds (too much uploads to those “starving” peers). So, whoever has really high upload bandwidth wins (datacenters). (I had ~80% stales during those three waves today, otherwise basically zilch.)

I maxed out at 50% stales during those 3 zombie waves. 91.26% valid points over the last 24 hours, my long term average is around 99.98% on an M1 Mac Mini.

I’ve seen some PiB size farms with woeful stale counts, likely the same people who whinge about not winning blocks.

1 Like

Actually, it would be good to know, whether people that are affected are only those that joined some pools, or also those that are self-pooling.

80/20 flexpool/self-pool here

I am on Flex pool. As mentioned, during those three peeks today, my stalled partials jumped to about 80% (during peeks), but that is not the end of the story. Those stalling waves lasted just about 20% of total time for the past 24h. The rest looks good (virtually no stalls, the same amount of partials as before). However, the pool payments (blocks processed?) dropped today by about 20x. Even if we assume that virtually most of farms are affected by those high stalls, and they get up to 100% stalls, again that is just 20% of the total time. Therefore, it look like there is another problem, at least with Flex pool, or I don’t have a good explanation for what is happening.

It’s because pools now have to pay a fee to process blocks and to make payouts. Thus blocks are backed up. All pools are affected, but some need more time to make these changes than others. Flexpool described (I think on Discord) that they’ll probably spend a bit longer than most to perform testing.

I assume that blocks found during this time still pay out, but I am not sure.

Chia farming rewards is a zero-sum game, so any rewards lost by pooling farmers (due to stales or invalids) will have to go somewhere else. As far as I can see, the ones who went unaffected (or least affected) by this sand storm are the most likely attackers. Solo farming whales or large OG pools (which I believe don’t rely on partials) come to mind.

3 Likes

Solo, I’d been fine, last few hrs I’ve missed 8 blocks through not being synced.
Possibly as I’ve another node syncing though, just easier to leave it be than move the dB, had enough if it today lol. Long day.

2 Likes

Yes. I think I will switch my Pooled NFT Plots (35%) to self-pooling until this is over. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I understand the stales issue (zero-sum game).

Although, I would be expecting that if those payments are backed up, they will still trickle from time to time. However, looks like Flex processed some of those in bursts.

Let’s hope that once the backlog will be done, the rest of those blocks will also show up.

1 Like

It’s happening I’m not sure if it’s 100% done. You can see blocks found and how it’s not the full 1.75 as we reduce it by the cost to claim the block. Payouts are off until we’re sure everything is working 100%.

We’ve also decided to investigate how much time we can save if we pursue mvp for our go chia node as it appears that it’s sorely needed.

3 Likes

just last night I went from 0.25% stale to 11% !?

I am not usig flexfarmer. Guess my node went out of sync and still is out of sync. Unfortunately I am not at home next few days, so there is nothing I can do.