ChiaFactory - plotting on demand (PaaS)

Ordered 10 last night before I went to bed, woke up to 6 finished (with 4 pending based on me freeing up some slots after downloading the finished ones). I’m downloading those 6 right now, I have a 400mbit connection so it’s going to take half a day to get all these.

Overall, super slick process, big fan of the setup!

4 Likes

Oh! That explains why some are slower than others. Most of my downloads have been in the 40+ MBps range, sometimes even 80MBps.

2 Likes

Final Review:

Overall had a fantastic experience with this service, and successfully bought and downloaded 10 working plots. I initially had a weird invalid plot failure in the Chia GUI, but after updating/restarting the GUI, they started working. I think it may have been because I downloaded the plots straight into the plotting directory, which I’ve since stopped doing and am downloading into a tmp folder and then moving them over.

@trepca was very helpful throughout the process, and I’m overall very impressed with the automated service and the web app he’s put together for this.

For anyone looking to buy plots to speed up their farming processes, I highly recommend Chia Factory!

3 Likes

Thanks, means a lot to us to see our hard work recognized. These are amazing times, everything is moving so fast, we’ll keep doing our best to evolve our service in the way that serves this wonderful community best. :rocket:

1 Like

Chia Factory is fantastic! I am a happy customer.

• Support: Top notch, quick replies, helpful
  • The Site: Excellent UI, easy to use
  • Value: This is totally subjective, but great value.
  • Verdict: Recommend!

They even have an API which I am happy to see.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, quick update that we’ve increased our prices to cover investment in new server infrastructure, but most importantly to match the XCH price. Hope you understand, thanks.

1 Like

My review:
I run a PaaS for filling physical drives, no downloads so no conflict of interest but you’ve so been disclosed.

PROS:
-price (can pay for just 1 plot)
-totally automated
-extremely convenient
-great support
-great UI
-really well thought out UX

CONS:
-price (totally subjective I realize but you pay per plot not per TB)
-you only get 2 days to download then poof there goes your monies (was out of town and only had a slow connection)
-slow: even on a fantastic internet connection can take hours to download a single 102GiB plot
-only 3 plots at a time: then you’re added to a queue, I’ve been in said queue for 3 days with the remaining plots still having not run :man_shrugging:

Not trying to disparage the service, just giving my honest experience.

1 Like

What is your internet speed from ISP? Most of my plots have downloaded in a little over an hour.

I’ve seen peaks of 27MBps when downloading from other services with geographically close servers

That’s a fair assessment, especially since we were experience high demand and it was starting to affect existing orders. This is also one of the reasons behind higher price. We plan to change price depending on demand so we can utilize our servers best and users can potentially speculate.
Problem is that demand seems to be infinite at times, but supply def isn’t.

re bandwidth, we don’t do any location based optimisation currently, it’s in the works to be released very soon. I thought this won’t affect things too badly for now, but I was def wrong here and other users noticed this too. Especially from US to EU.

re only 3 plots, most users can’t handle more than 3 downloads per day, but in the future we’ll be automatically increasing parallelism if users will be able to download plots faster. This is by design though and allows us to scale plotting much faster than having plot files hang around for long. (@vandy I’m happy to replot your expired plots if you want to give us another try) We understand that it’s super annoying to login every 6 hours and copy paste things. An automated script is in the works as we speak, that will automate the whole process. It will wait for new plots to be generated, download, verify, expire and wait for next. So no more hassle. This is the repo: GitHub - chiafactory/plotorder: Create plots in the cloud using Chia Factory service.

Anyway, we’re working hard to provide best service, but service is also like 2 weeks old so def not perfect.

3 Likes

Really appreciate this thoughtful response, may I suggest increasing the expiry window to 7 days. I don’t think expiring them is unreasonable because of the cost of storing them but 2 days just seems like a really short window.

1 Like

Ok, I have extended the expiry window to 7 days.

One idea I’m playing with is to offer a harvester while plots are being downloaded. This way users can start mining immediately and utilizes downloading time well.
One thing I’m not sure about is how safe is this, as harvester needs CA cert from the farmer to communicate? Is there any other way? Thanks.

2 Likes

I think you’re correct that as of today, that’s the only way to accomplish setting up a remote harvester. to the second question, yeah it looks like there’s private keys in that bundle. I’m wondering if this can be asked of the chia devs and either a) they make a change to allow this to work with a public key or b) they have a workaround. or c) have they even considered this use case

1 Like

Hi there,

a few updates from Chia Factory - we now support volume discounts per account, multi-currencies, Paypal and crypto.
We use dynamic pricing that adapts to demand, which is currently low so priced accordingly.
We just released this in the last few days so any feedback appreciated, thanks!

2 Likes

@trepca nice website!

You mentioned you host your plotters around the world. Just curious, which server providers do you use since all the major players have banned Chia plotting due to the demanding nvme drives usage?