Somebody asked this in May 2021 on github without any answer.
I guess more people would like to know for the same reason.
I would like to run my cold wallet on isolated secure machine but I would like to avoid having it run Full node.
I want my (almost) cold wallet to be isolated in VirtualMachine so I can do transactions.
I turn it on, make a transaction and turn VirtualMachine back off until I need to do another transaction.
Is there a way to have synced wallet without running a complete synced full node?
EDIT AFTER EXPERIMANTATION:
Here is a short guide how I did it (I even make it work in GUI):
- Have a Host machine running and working full node (for this example it will have IP 192.168.1.100).
- Create VirtualMachine with installed OS of your choice (in this example 192.168.2.99 and it has windows).
- Make sure VirtualMachine is connected to internet
- Make sure Host and Virtual machines can ping each other (paths, gateways, subnet masks etc.)
- Install chia (same version as Host) on VirtualMachine
- On VirtualMachine import/write your mnemonic 24 words of a wallet you want to operate there
- Close Chia app completely on VirtualMachine, and edit and save config.yaml with these parameters (note; use parameters that fits your setup):
... wallet: ... full_node_peer: host: 192.168.1.100 port: 8444 ...
On VirtualMachine run wallet-only
This step takes a lot of time (hours) to sync and you can periodically check status on VirtualMachine with “.\chia wallet show” until it is synced (number will rise from 0 to 180000+ depended on how high is the wallet chain)
When wallet is synced you can send coins without having full node running on VirtualMachine
To use GUI first stop that wallet on VirtualMachine “.\chia stop all”
On VirtualMachine start chia GUI application
It will start to sync full node but you kill the processes on VirtualMachine TaskManager: “start_farmer.exe”, “start_full_node.exe” and “start_harvester.exe”. You leave running “start_wallet.exe” and “daemon.exe”
Now your wallet will be running normally on VirtualMachine but nothing else, so you can use this machine only to operate transactions.
When I need to make a transaction from this secure VirtualMachine, I start it, wait a little to be synced and do my transactions etc, then close it and secure it on some USB stick, disk or wherever.
I did this experiment on Flax fork of Chia but it is the same code and it should be equivalent to Chia. I’m going to do this now with Chia and report if it is not working but I doubt that I will have different result.