Connect plotter and farmer directly with a 10 Gbit cable

@dctech

Thx helps! So one specific question … you say:

Could the second PC which is connected directly to the PC with the two NICs ( where one is connected to the router/gateway and the other to the Other PC via direct Ethernet connection) access the Internet?

And another one if u don’t mind. Is a router nothing else than a combination of switch and gateway (plus services like DNS/DHCP etc)?

Yes. I have three PCs Farmer, Plotter and Worker. Farmer and Plotter has two network cards (one 1Gbit, the other 2.5Gbit). And I only have one monitor at the Work PC and a remote message for access to Farmer and Plotr. Wired as described above.

Second PC can have 2 NICs where 1G would be connected to your home network and use your default router/gateway to acces Internet an other PC on the home network and the 10G with direst cable would be used for plot transfers when you use the different IP of that subnet to moût the drives/folder path.

Yes, you can think of a home router as a many services including a gateway bundled in to one box some of which can be DNS relay, DHCP, firewall, and some have WiFi access point, and even VoIP gateway which is used to provide telephone service over Internet.

Awesome @dctech ! Clarified so much. Thanks a lot!

What would happen if both PCs have a gateway (with their own router) and are connected like u described? Would every PC take their own gateway or would they even alternate between each other?

No need to answer I don’t want to annoy you. If you though have a good source for basic infos like this feel free to share.

You can technically use whatever gateway you want on each PC as long as the gateway is reachable and setup to route traffic between the network the PC is on and another network (ex: Internet) so technically 2 PC on a network can use different gateways but that have very limited uses. Note that in a home network the gateway is typically assigned automatically via DHCP and is set to your home router.

But consider this, if the PC 2 had only the 10G NIC and there was no other NIC available on it to connect it to your 1G home network (so it can access Internet) then you can technically setup the PC 1 as a gateway for PC 2 so that PC 2 can also access your 1G home network via PC 1 which would become the gateway for the 10G link. Linux is very powerful and allows you to do stuff like that :slight_smile: Window can sort of do some of it via connection sharing but has no where near the capabilities available in Linux.

There is no need for cross over cables these days.

10G will run perfectly fine over decent CAT5E cables, you just need to keep the cable length down (less than 30m IIRC), but if you’re buying cable then you might as well buy CAT6 or better. I cabled my house with CAT5E about 20 years ago, and I run 10G across it without issues.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean it like that sorry. Tbh No one who knows about chia is an idiot :cowboy_hat_face:
All be proud.
We’re all smart af. One day we will be the ones laughing.

As for true 10gbit over cat 5e. Can I get some of what that guys smoking er what??
Must just be mistaken. I don’t think theirs ill intent.
It’s just not possible, Even on a short run. Plus a few other benefits from using cat 6+. Not just just speed. Per say.

A
10gbit not 1 gbit Routers the way to go though.

@jonesjr

You must be mistaken?
It’s just not possible over cat 5e. In my experience upgrading over the years. Theirs a hard cap at the hardware lvl( ie the cable) at just one gigabit. Wich can be tough to saturate depending on many many factors. But that hard ceiling at 1gbit is always there.

In terms of mhz bandwidth it’s just not possible sir. Unless you got some bleeding edge 5e for the time, Custom wrapped cables.

The current revision includes Category 5e (100 MHz), 6 (250 MHz), 6A (500 MHz), and 8 (2,000 MHz). Categories 7 and 7A were not officially recognized by TIA and were generally only used outside the United States. Category 8 was published with ANSI/TIA‑568‑C.2‑1 (June 2016) [[8] to meet the performance specification intended by Category 7.

The [Category 6] specification improves upon the Category 5e specification by extending frequency response and further reducing crosstalk. The improved performance of Cat 6 provides 250 MHz bandwidth. Vs 5e 100mhz

All that’s irrelevant tho. The only cable worth talking about this days is 7/8 minimum. 5 was depreciated in 2001. Thro anything with a 5 away tbh. It’s 2023. Unless u still own a palm pilot and live in the woods and play checkers. Than sure 5 I’m sure is fine.

Further defined limitations of the actually cables and what they can do, in case anyone els was wondering. Because u can’t go faster than your physical hardware allows.>>>>

You are the one that is mistaken sir, it is well known that decent CAT5E can handle 10 Gbit up to about 30 meters. There is no hard cap built into the cable, it’s the distance and conditions it’s installed in that really matters.

PS I know what it’s installed in my house, and I know what speed it runs at. One day you’ll stop trying to tell everyone else they are wrong and accept that you are not always correct :wink:

1 Like

All,

@jonesjr plagiarized.
He copied/pasted from the following sites:

He used:

…and he used:

https://www.macinstallations.com/cat-5-cabling-explained/

He tried to make what someone else authored look as though he (@jonesjr) authored it.

He tried to convince people that his assertions are credible, by portraying himself as an authority, by using other people’s writings.

He has done this before.

There is nothing wrong with quoting the work of others. And that is exactly what @jonesjr did NOT do.

1 Like

at short distances, cable doesn’t matter too much. cat 6A STP recommended.

crossed cables were used by Roman centurions. any ether copper card (10 years old) can do auto MDI/MDIX.

all you need to do is to setup /etc/interfaces on both machines, and force Samba (or whatever you use) to bind 10g interface/IP.

done.

1 Like

To be honest I didn’t read pass the first paragraph, if @jonesjr actually did any proper research they’d realise they are wrong. Working, and complying with standards are two different things, @jonesjr is just living up to the junior in their name.

1 Like

10 Gigabit Ethernet - Wikipedia says:

Category 6A is required to reach the full distance and category 5e or 6 may reach up to 55 metres (180 ft)

1 Like

@jonesjr
Will you be editing Wikipedia’s page to correct their information?

1 Like

They are busy telling the whole world they are wrong :wink:

1 Like

U read way to into things. Just do your own research. I’m not lying about an anything. I have no need to. Proving anything on this sites impossible🙃.

Just read any any site 5e physically can’t do 10gbit. Even on a short run.

Why would anyone lie blatently about this is just beyond me

Here’s a nice table I didn’t make.

All thies sources and my nice table are all lieing tho huh.

This whole forums a massive trol a sware.

No one has time for that.

Y’all sick lost sheep.

Matter affect u can do 10gbit on cat 4 is what I hurd.

why are u lieing to people. You spread dis information to all this suckers.

Maybe just maybe it’s possible.
In certain parts of the world. On Tuesday’s. Maybe

But it’s not the standard.

It’s not what’s known.
It’s not what’s Been proven scientifically.
It’s not ment for it.
It’s a poor use case for 10gbit. To try and attain it.

That’s the truth.

There are numerous videos of folks getting 10 Gb over Cat 5e. Here is one example:

Just because a category of cable is not rated (or certified) to run beyond a specified speed, does not mean that it can’t run beyond its specified speed.

You have written, categorically, that Cat 5e will not run at 10 Gb speed.
Since you are most wise and most honorable computer expert, then everyone that got 10 Gb speed out of Cat 5e cables is on drugs.

How did you know that all of those youtube hosts are on drugs?