Cost Investment for 500 Plot

I’d found this link and figured out with some question, i do hope to receive tech experience to share with me: Chia (XCH) Farming Calculator | XCHscan
If i want to have about 500 Plot ( per day or per month), then, how could be computer configuration will be and how much total investment cost will be? may thanks to your advisor?

1 Like

You do realise having more plots will only earn you extra coins relative to the extra plots.
Because when i mentioned to you 6tb would take you 2 years possibly to mine 2 coins you seemed to think that was a long time.
So 12tb will possbly get you 2 coins in a year. The same investment to return ratio as 6 tb.

Are you seriously considering plotting 500 plots a day?
I think thats like 50tb ( you can cost analysis that yourself ) a big daily investment.

You can scan the forum for different setups that will plot what you need, then cost the parts yourself.

Personally i think the cost of 50tb pd is prohibitive enough for most folk

Its hard for anyone to cost things for you, we dont know where you live or what you have access to.
And im sure your totally capable of doing it yourself.

The best plotters i believe can do 5 ish min plots, 12 ph, 288 pd, IF you could move them fast enough.

1 Like

Thanks, It’s seem IMPOSSIBLE MISSION :wink: :smiling_face_with_tear:

As @Bones mentioned, the supporting hardware is required to roll out a big farm. Big workstations for plotting can run $2,000 each, and they farm $0.00 in Chia (but you needs plots!). 3 16TB harddrives would get you to 50TB per month - so $1,000 a month for drives. You are easily $15,000 a year into that kind of operation!

And for more insult, moving that slider on your website link on that 600 TB you plotted for the year only gets you $230 a month - or $2,800 a year in Chia from then on (depending on Chia prices). It is debatable that this coin isn’t profitable if you are starting a new operation.

2 Likes

Simply googling " 5 min chia plots " and choosing videos, i found 2 links, 1 for 15 min plots, 1 for 8 min plots.
Took me 30 seconds…

Surely you could do that, if not, maybe this isnt for you.

2 Likes

Yes. Actually, i will start from 6TB HDD ( for harvesting ) and 2TB SDD NBMe ( for plotting) first
After 3-6 months, depend on the CHIA price and crypto market, i will invest more on storage,
Btw, can you share me which is the best computer configuration for first start as small farmer ( i mean : CPU, DDR4, Motherboad, PSU…) to best suitable and catch with 6TB HDD and 2TB SSD NVMe. At this moment, i need number of Plotting ( as it stay about for 5 years ) , not XCH, because i know it’s really hard and ROI is unfeasibilities at this moments :wink:

1 Like

Ah, btw, i’m from VietNam/ HCMC

Use what you have, for 6tb dont build a plotter!

1 Like

Yes, 2TB SSD NBMe for Build Plotter, and 6TB HDD for store Plotting ! Is it what you mean ?

I think what he means is that, if your current goal is only to plot 6TB, most people considering Chia as a hobby probably already have a computer that can reasonably handle that.

3 Likes

You are ready to plot and farm already is what we are saying :+1: . Even if you just make one plot a day, that is 30 plots a month (3TB). We say go for it, and just add drives when you need them!

For a basic plotter, I’m a fan of i5 and Ryzen 5 builds (great value, ok power to get started, you can even farm with this). Most people in here would say go bigger with either a server build, or a bigger office computer with at least 8-cores.

I personally plot on an Athlon 3000G, 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM, A320m-itx motherboard, and Corsair 80 Bronze 550 watt power supply. It’s a 3 year old very basic PC and does 7 plots per day. I just used what I had! I wouldn’t recommend anyone build this PC in 2022 but it made sense a few years ago (cheap! lol).

2 Likes

Not really. Rather as you stated, H/W is more or less a factor of intended farm size, so your take on it is perfect.

On the other side of the spectrum (from what you have mentioned), there was one guy that was pushing plotting on RPi4 (I guess a week to get a plot, and basically the same kW /TB, or maybe worst). It worked for him, though.

2 Likes

Ah, good point on intended buildout.

And I love the idea of the RPI plotter. I’m not that patient, but if the wattage/TB is close enough to average, I won’t judge!

2 Likes

(Bullshit Meter ready?) I would focus first on what your target farm size is reasonable for you w.r.t. storage space and physical workspace, cooling, noise etc… The speed of plot accumulation is less important, (this goal is borrowed from the ‘proof of work’ crowd, always wanting faster. ) . It’s good for boasting rights regarding one characteristic. It’s been a while, but there are vendors with monster machines generating and selling plots. You’re first 500 plots might only cost $100 from a vendor. In this scenario you could focus on the most efficient farm implementation and likely save yourself several thousands. I wouldn’t recommend this, not knowing the ‘space vendors’, but it looks like a viable option and you can check their reputations yourself. So you’ll need 50 TB or so of hard disks for the 500 plots to exist on. What ;kind of storage? : ) Network attached? Depends on your scale of operation. For example, In this scenario I’d go for a refurbished HP or ACER PC with monitor/kybd/mouse and attach an external drive box, a 5 bay docking station maybe. After that, expand as necessary. So add it up: $100 for the plots. $300 for the PC. $2000 for the hard drives and docking bays. That’s one way to do it. ==> $2,400. Plus: Another $100 for just BS.

2 Likes

Thanks for your great sharing information, really appreciated !!! :relaxed:

1 Like

I found this https://chiaeasyplot.com/ it might help you!

1 Like

" were the team " with not one mention of who the team are…
What could possibly go wrong.

1 Like

Ryzen 3900x, Corsair LPX black 3600 RAM (2x16) and one 1 Tb 980 pro for both tmp1 and tmp2. Any B550M motherboard with a PCIe 4.0 nvme slot would do. This setup should easily reach 45 plots per day as far as I remember.

2 Likes

Thanks Bro ! Really interesting !

1 Like

I’d recommended buy HUANANZHI X99 T8D X99 Motherboard with Intel XEON E5 2678 V3*2 with DDR3 RECC 4x32G DDR3 RECC memory combo kit for US $1,037.54x1 from Aliexpress
Old… but worked horse.
Yeap… That’s 128G of RAM memory & 24 Threads… so…
Put Ubuntu & MadMax plotter. WITHOUT temporary SSD (Do everything in RAM) (Quite valuable thing!)
Year ago it takes 2216.64sec /2235.31 (~37 min) for plotting & ~20 min to transfer K32 file to the farm (Buy 1Gb LAN card!). So… that’s non stop process. :wink:
Don’t forget to put additional fan for memory. It’s dammed hot!
Regards!

1 Like