Hi all, just to close this off - the TrueNAS folk reached out to me with some positive commentary around this and I consider this matter closed. Which quite honestly is fantastic because I was and still am super excited about TrueNAS. It has a unique stability and featureset brought by a team with a long history in delivering reliable storage.
In that vein what I see as advantages for chia mining (and what I’ve been doing manually up til now)
- Confidence your plots are legit and uncorrupted via ZFS self healing
- Easy access / 1 click deployment for plotting tools / farms etc
- Can optimise storage to meet the needs of plots e.g. cached metadata and large block size for speedy performance
- Snapshot to save from ‘oops’ moments with zero disk space penalty for plots
- Read speed increases via Raidz dataset optimisation
And as @kmoore134 said, if you’re not using docker already you’ll be impressed. For example you can reinstall the application and keep your previous config in 1 click. No more wondering what else it did behind the scenes and needing to reinstall an app from scratch - it’s app paradise!
And then there’s the realisation of all the other things you can do while that is happening.
Connect to your plots via another machine? No problem!
Check health of your data? No problem!
Add storage, media sharing, backups, web hosting or whatever else you’re doing? No problem!
Chia doesn’t need a dedicated machine, you CAN and SHOULD do more with it. TrueNAS have shown their support to chia by dedicating a container with all the things you need inside it to make life easy for us - I’m in!
What did I forget?!