Desktop plotting

Hi! I was wondering if it is a good idea to do the plotting on a standard desktop PC and then when it’s ready move to a raspi or similar for farming. Actually I have a desktop with a i7 9700F, 16GB DDR4 and a 1TB NVME SSD with 1600TBW of announced endurance. As I have also a 8TB external HDD for permanent storage I thought that I can make 80 k32 plots, so with a rate of 256GB per plot it will be 20TBW used of the SSD (which sounds not crazy). So maybe I can do de plotting on the desktop and then move to a raspi for farming with the external HDD?

Cheers

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly what a lot of people recommend…

1 Like

Yes, you need a fast drive for plotting, and a large external drive for farming. That’s all! Easy to get started.

2 Likes

Thanks! And for the 8TB drive it should be 80 k32 plots (7.92TiB) or 81 (8.02 TiB)?

Apart from that, is it possible to move plots from one HDD to another? I have some spare small HDDs, so I would like to know if I can fill them with plots until I get one big definitive drive and move those plots there. If the answer is affirmative, it is just copying the files from one drive to another?

Cheers

I don’t have exact number but you might be a bit less than 80 on 8TB as some space is taken when you format etc.

You can move the plots to other HDD and then add them as plots drive in the farmer and it should be able to pick them up. Good luck