Does anyone get 980 pro worn out by Chia plotting

would like to see how much the TBW is for 980 pro? The spec is only 600T for 1T 980 pro.

Still going strong and plotting daily. No performance issues yet.

1 Like

Still going strong.

2 Likes

Sweet. Hope I get that much mileage.

what app r u guys using? I have one I could check.

Samsung Magician

Here’s my 2tb:

1 Like

2Pb with 1T 980 pro and no issues.

1 Like

The 970 Pro will last longer.

Prove it with real numbers. Would love to see it.

2 Likes

This video I found useful. Home Networking: Chia - You are being recommended the wrong NVMe drives - YouTube around 12:30. Both 970 & 980 recommended, but likely the 970 will last longer due to memory type. I am running 3 x 970, I see how it goes !

I am using a single 512GB 980 Pro drive… they are so cheap I just run it down alongside a ramdisk and will throw it away when it’s dead… haven’t had one die yet though.

1 Like

In this interview they explain that ssd can wear out beyond rated TBW, but it will “leak” charge from NAND cells, causing unreliable long term storage when SSD is off. This is absolutely irrelevant for plotting use case, because tmp data only lives for a few minutes/hours transient.

So you can literally run it it to the ground when cells start physically failing

3 Likes

We are not using them for long term storage, so we should be fine for long time. If you power off the system, you may lose some data from a worn off nvme drive as I understand.

Here’s the latest update - Over 4,000 TB written and no noticeable performance degradation or issues at all. Samsung Magician definitely thinks it is “critical” but all disk checks and scans show healthy. This drive has been working 24/7 since my last post above over 3 months ago!

1 Like

I read this and so I switched off my plotter for 5 days (the most I could stand) and it was fine. I am pb past write limits

1 Like

I just hit zero percent left at 351TB, hopefully it’ll keep cranking along for awhile.

Joe