Dual Xeon E5-2630 Rig with 256Gb RAM

I’ve got my hands on this Dell Poweredge r620 rack with 2x Xeon E5-2630 2.3ghz + 16x16gb (256gb) RAM + 2x750w PSU

What do you guys advice I can do with it plot-wise with some Nvram ? Also the huge PSU seems overkill (?)

Your plotting drives would dictate how much parallels can you run!
I would suggest to have separate drives for temp1 and temp2 for maximum parallel throughput.

1 Like

You have 24 threads total say you save 4 free for system stuff.
2 per plot? 10 parallel plots probably take at least 10-12 hours so maybe 20 plots per 24h would be my guess as best case. That’s assuming your final copy is to more than 1 disk and not all plots landing on the same disk.
Not sure how well it would go with plot managers but I think you are in the ballpark of 20 in 24h.
Be careful with numa too, depending on where you plug in your nvme (assuming pcie) the pcie slots are split between cpus on my board, should be labelled on the board but check the manual if in doubt. So for example my drive F is on numa 0 so any jobs running with F have their affinity set to cpu0. If you plan to use one temp drive for all threads then you won’t be able to avoid crossing numa zones.

Not the end of the world though, I measured 10-20% difference with wrong zone vs right.

1 Like

i would suggest to use Ubuntu instead of Windows.
Start with

• 10 parallel plots
  • 30 minutes difference between each plot
  • Different temp1 & temp2
  • If you want to use more of your ram then you may select bucketsize = 64 and buffer = 7400.

See how the times are per plot and then tune things from there onwards.

1 Like

Wow, thanks guys I did not expect tips this good. Thanks!

I’ll have to think about the strategy… I was planning on running windows from an USB stick or maybe even run the rig headless eventually… the amount of RAM seems to be overkill I don’t know if it would matter if I take some out?

Do I need some adapter for the nvma’s? I was also thinking about using a number of old fashioned cheap drives like these https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Seagate-300GB-745GC-ST9300605SS/dp/B00BFJ04YM
and plot with them since they (allegedly) last way longer then the nvme’s will.

I’m not an expert but it seems that the CPU’s can also be replaced so I will have to look into that.

Anyway, I’m Super excited to start.

Plotting will be QUITE slow on these I believe!
Yes, you might need to use an adapter to plug in those NVMe drives.
Again I would highly recommend ubuntu!