Efficient Harvesters (Compressed Plots)

Do you have to add any extra cooling to the P4’s? Since they have no active cooling…

Yes, I downloaded the fan shroud and had it printed locally cheap (you get ripped off on ebay) and bought two noctua 60x25mm fans. The plotting card hovers around 70C and draws about 40-48W. I tried increasing the clock speed but that had almost no impact other than driving up the temperature of the card.

The farming card right now does not have a shroud as it won’t fit in my 1U server with it. But it’s running at around 76C with the fans that are in the server and not really getting hotter than that. I do expect, however, when I start getting more compressed plots the workload will increase and I’ll have to move into a larger server and put a fan on it.

1 Like

How much did it cost at the local shop?

$20 for two of them. And the fans you can get cheap

Which 3d file did you download?

Thanks for the info. I switched away from RPis a while ago due to unavailability and the fact that there are better ARM SoC out there that are way more powerful and get you a M.2 with 4 lanes of PCIe 2.0 or even 3.0 that can be used for storage or even GPU. The one thing I worry is that these types of harvesters may no longer be an option if they need to perform heavy computing with compressed plots and remember that plot filter will be getting lowered quickly over time which will affect all harvesters unless the compute requirement can be offloaded to a central location like a farmer.

RPis are going no where, C1 and C2 level compressed plots are super light and any RPis type of devices will be fine with those compression levels.

If you’re a small farmer, chasing the high compression level plots is a no win game in my opinion.

RPis paired with C1 or C2 plots will be just fine even after a few plot filter reductions… a good 5+ years of use at those compression levels…

I am farming 2.5pb of C8 k32, Farmer 1 Z440 w/ gtx1660 on one 5U 84 disk jbod, Farmer 2 Z440 w/ gtx1660 on one 5U 84 disk jbod, Farmer 3 Z440 w/ gtx1660 on two netapp 4246 jbod. I am earning 1xch per day + 0.25 of every block I find. Found 22 blocks in July and 22 in August. Using Flexfarmer on Flexpool with difficulty manually set to 50.

2 Likes

I’m farming 4.09 PB C8 with Flex and i m earning 1.62 xch with blocks.

1 Like

Per day, week or month?

yes, per day.
not week and not month.

Chia official ~6.5W per drive. 40 drives, 780TiB back then.

GH C5 was even more efficient.

Chia C7 bad efficiency.

Basically, anything that uses GPU is inefficient unless you have a large enough farm. 1PiB farm for 3060Ti is a very poor choice. I haven’t seen anyone to share efficiency while GPU farming…people don’t even know their efficiency with CPU farming.

Current experiment:

Total size of plots: 1016.172 TiB, 1.078 PiBe (effective)
Chia C7 3817 plots of size: 291.073 TiB on-disk, 377.972 TiBe (effective)

Whole farm rig 420W + computing rig with 3060Ti 98W. Computing rig is for experimenting only. With GPU hooked up in farm, it will be something like +60W computing overhead.

Basically, 480W for 1.07PiBe farm with 64 drives or 7.5W per drive…efficiency is dropping. +15% more energy use. I’m guessing with a fully compressed farm, wattage will be ~550W or ~8.5W per drive.

+30% energy use for +20% more profit. At current XCH prices, and energy costs…GPU farming is a wild dream for no electricity bills.

It is 100 CHF per month now, and 130CHF estimate. With solo farming rewards ~13XCH month or 380CHF…it needs more testing, what makes more money. After all, free cashflow is what we want

C7 cpu farming with Ryzen 9 3950X 4.1GHz @1.2V - while cpu uses only 80W…proofs take over 10s…useless.

I didn’t try lower compression yet. C5 could be sweet spot for CPU farming

You have longer than 10 s to respond.

3060Ti <1s on same test farm.

well, if two guys fight for same block…faster will win. Signage points/proofs longer than 8s officially not recommended.

I prefer under 2s

Nope, good enough proof supplied on time will get reward, not capped to 1 reward per block

Recommended being the pertinent word, you have apx 25s.

I am looking at 260W for gh c6 550TB.

Edit to say it peaks to over 300W for the proofs/partials

The GPU runs for about 2 seconds but does not return to idle in between.

It’s a 130W card but gh farming seems to max at about 80W and then it drops to 30W. The idle power is 7W.

Do you see the same? Are you wasting power in the gaps?

what you are saying is “if 25 guys manage to find the same block within 25s, reward will be split”

fastest/strongest dog shaggs first :stuck_out_tongue:

that is the problem with the default GPU setting, you have to undervolt. Force it as low as possible until your proof time will be >2s

I run my 3060Ti undervolted because Linux driver doesn’t switch states so quickly, and it basically never idles.

BTW my Chia official farm used to have 737.77TiB @ 320W and there is still at least 50W wasted by old HDDs :wink:

Here’s what my 3060 is reportedly using farming C7 BB, average usage is 29w, this is with 322TiB raw space, 418TiB effective.

1 Like