Efficient plotting

There are two executables for Madmax, chia_plot.exe which only does K32, and the chia_plot_K34.exe which does K33 & K34. They are presented within the Chia GUI as one, but a different executable will be run depending on the K number.

2 Likes

chia_plot_k34.exe creates K32 size plots by default.
Either…
“-k 33”
or
“-k 34”

…must be specified to create their respective plot sizes.

Well, at least that is how it is via the command line.
Perhaps the GUI handles it differently? I have never used the GUI for madmax plotting.

I presume the GUI chooses which to run depending on what K size is chosen, I don’t use the GUI for plotting.

I hadn’t realised that chia_plot_k34 created K32 by default, I wonder why there is two, perhaps chia_plot is better optimised for K32’s, either way there are two MM executables.

I have a program that generates my CMD line depending on what I specify, so I’ve haven’t for a long time tried it without specifying the K size

My guess is that “chia_plot.exe” was the first madmax program to surface, and later, chia_plot_k34.exe was released for larger plot sizes.

check_plot.exe is probably kept in the standard distribution, for people that have scripts that use it (wouldn’t want to break their scripts).

And the developers probably figured that their newer “chia_plot_k34.exe” might as well cover K32 as well. And since K32 is the most popular plot size, they made K32 the default.

Again, I am guessing, based on how software is typically rolled out by responsible parties.

By the, I was thinking about the GUI, and I now remember that I did initially try madmax via the GUI. I recall that it ran the “chia.exe” executable, which called on the madmax executable. But it did so with the “-w” option, which made it behave the way Chia’s default plotter behaves when a plot is finished. Namely, it waits for the file copy to complete before starting on the next plot’s creation. It does so with the “-w” option, which you can’t omit (the GUI puts it on the command line – taskmgr will show you the command line that the GUI runs).

That was back on Chia version 1.2.11 (if I am remembering correctly).
I have not tried madmax via the GUI ever since. So maybe the forced “-w” option is no longer present?

Waiting for the file copy to complete, before starting the next plotting job, surely reduces average plot time creations. For those whose temp drives have to unload their completed plots before starting a new plot (due to space constraints), the “-w” option makes sense. But I suspect that few people will have that space constraint, and have enough temp space to start the next plot while the file copy is running.

Whatever you do, don’t sink more money into plotting hardware. You should actually not stagger. You need to create jobs with different names. They can run at the same time with 16GB ram and old hardware, 4 core CPU. About 4 hours per plot. Just employ multiple plotters of a similar ilk. Turn 1 plot every 4 hours to 4 plots every four hours. Sure you need more than one PC, but why landfill old hardware that can be of use?

There is no enjoyment or satisfaction in buying newer, expensive hardware just to brag or say you should be plotting as fast as those people. You know the one aspect that isn’t included here? ROI. It’s never fun to talk ROI. It’s just better to tell everyone how to plot faster and what to buy, and F ROI discussion all together. Just jump in! Piss away your money so you can get a trickle in returns! Maybe you will see ROI in your lifetime? Or not. But hey, you sure did plot like a hero. What an achievement.

1 Like

You’re about a year to 18 months too late :wink:

1 Like

3.39 hours with some random programs running I could have probably closed out… 3 hours is within throwing distance. Thanks mate 8). That’s good science right there 8).

1 Like

What are the maxium system resorce we can assign a singale sata hdd without bottle neck losses?
Can any one provide rotgh numbers ?
Cant loose the feeling multipull drives shuold be written simustanly

It is very low, maybe only 1 cpu.

So now youve dipped your toes, did you use mm within the gui, because thats still meh, use a commsnd line, but you can use the executables downloaded within chia download.

Faster still for sure!
Chia gui just sucks for plotting for some reason.

1 Like

I’ll have to try that out - didn’t realize I could pop over to command line with the windows installation. Yeah, it’s working out great - I just set it to dump out plots when my kid is off the gaming rig and sneakernet them over to the farming rig (Ubuntu/CLI install) when I have time. I should be topped off on plots in a week or two here - it really sped things up.

Now the question of how often to buy new drives to fill lol. Thanks again all 8).

Now the question of how often to buy new drives to fill lol. Thanks again all 8).

Its all on you , how many ALU cans you collected and cashed in…

1 Like

No doubt lol. Budget is about $100 a month, so probably 4 16TB or 18TB external HDDs per year.

Unless I go wild and buy a box of those $40 16TB SSDs from walmart and ebay, yikes, scammers gonna scam I guess.