Existing NAS coonect to new installed Full Node

Servus Community,

So far, I’ve had a setup of a Synology NAS as a Plot storage and Harvester and a Mac Mini as a Full Node. Now that I’ve run out of space on the Mac Mini, I’ve installed another one with a larger hard drive. It is currently synchronizing the blockchain, which may take a while.

How do I get the two (NAS and Mac Mini) back together? The new Mac Mini has the same IP address as the old one and the NAS knows this IP address but just like that it didn’t work. What else do I need to do to make this work again?

Thx & Bye CD

So you only have the 1 Mac mini running or 2 now? Did you copy all the Chia files to the new machine, then copy the \ca folder to a temp spot like c:\files\ca\ then you would have only needed to a .\chia.exe init -c c:\files\ca\ to create that machines CERT files so it has its own ID on the system network. Then if that new machine is going to be a harvester?
Open the ~/.chia/mainnet/config/config.yaml file in each harvester, and enter your main machine’s IP address in the remote harvester’s farmer_peer section (NOT full_node).
EX:
harvester:
chia_ssl_ca:
crt: config/ssl/ca/chia_ca.crt
key: config/ssl/ca/chia_ca.key
farmer_peer:
host: Main.Machine.IP
port: 8447
For example, this section would look like:

harvester:
chia_ssl_ca:
crt: config/ssl/ca/chia_ca.crt
key: config/ssl/ca/chia_ca.key
farmer_peer:
host: 192.168.2.13
port: 8447

This is an example using windows

Finaly I will have one Mini running. I did not copy any files from the old Mac Mini but it is still available and I have full access to the system. Actually the new one is syncing the blockchain and the old one is offline. The Mac Mini isn’t a Harvester, it is a simple node. The Harvester is running on a Ubuntu Docker Container on a Synology NAS. There are many Plots farmed for a pool.

So I guess I have to to connect the new Mac Mini to the pool and the Synology NAS to the new Mac Mini. Is it enough to exchange the certificates on the new Mac Mini with the existing one from the old Mac Mini?

Thx CD

If your replacing the machine, could just copy the whole chia setup. In windows user c:\user\my-name\ the .chia folder and the .chia_keys folder to the new machine after you installed the software. And it would sync up where you left off.

I never played with MAC OS so I just ref Windows.

And when I do a backup I copy the .chia and .chia_keys folder to a USB disk and then I backed up in case of major issues. I can easily setup another machine without have to sync from scratch.

So simple, even if the new machine has a newer version installed?

How far apart are the versions.

1.4.0 vs 1.6.1

Thx & Bye CD

With being so far apart, I may just byte the bullet and just let it sync and you should be good, without needing to do a DB upgrade etc. But please make back ups when your done syncing for CYA down the road.

1 Like

Should I then only copy the directory with the keys (.chia_keys) to the new node or do other configurations have to be modified? Any certificates hidden somewhere, something like that?

Thx & Bye CD

When you installed Chia on the new MAC you entered the 24 word pharse to make your key, correct if so your good.

I took look at the instructions I used to do the initial setup. There I copied the certificates from the PC hosting the node to the NAS and used chia init -c /path/to/ca to copy the certificates to the harvester configuration. The certificates of the new node are certainly different, I could now copy the old certificates into the new node or enter the new certificates of the new node in the harvester as initially. What would you recommend?

Then some changes were made in the configuration file config.yaml at the Harvester, so that it knows with whom it should connect but this should all still fit, since the IP address of the node has not changed.

Thx & Bye CD