Farm jurnale ( dan haviv israel)

bought
48 SAS drives from Alibaba (10tb) for 11k$ (2 given to friend)
sas controller with 2 ports(8lines)
2 SAS expander 8 ports (28lines)
bought
AMD processor 16 threads for 100$ second hand AMD mother board
2 SAS cable from controller to expenders SFF8087 two sided
11 SAS cable SFF8087 to 4 SFF8482
Bought 3 HDD racks 16 drives and 3 fans
200 unc 6-32 screws

1 Like

Why sas, why 10tb drives?

1 Like

Very cool 8). Should be a decent farm - good luck on the build!

And agreed - the 3.5" HDD cages from old PC towers absolutely hold drives securely. Plus they are free if you can find a scrap computer pile.

1 Like

I came new to this topic and from first look SAS offered more . I regret not going externals

2 Likes

I find that 10 TB was best priced on Alibaba . now that I have to deal with 40 drives I wish I bought bigger drives

2 Likes

10TB isn’t bad. Plus they are less per $tb than larger drives. Find yourself a jbod to house them all. Will make it a lot easier to manage. I like the DDN SS8460. It holds 84 drives.

Good luck!

2 Likes

way to expansive for hdd rack , i belive stacking horizontly is the way to go

cant edit the post any more :frowning:
any way my parents sold the HDDs for 2k$ looking to retrieve my treasure
might go to the police to report theft

$ 11.000 for 48 ten tb drives? $ 229 for each drive is expensive in my opinion.
In some previous posts, somebody adviced not to buy a drive if the price is more than $ 20/ Tb. You could buy wd elements 10 tb for $ 214 from amazon or cheaper from some other sellers. Usb 3.0 or higher connection for chia farming is way better than sas drive system. The setup will be very simple. You will only need usb multipliers and a good PSU with sufficient power for the drives.

1 Like

found out 5X8TB for 500$ best price so far !
my current thought about chia is that it was mistake buying at 150$ without looking at the graphs at xchscan . now i belive this coin will serve a great purpose at holding its value . and beigne a real solid crypto curency. i think thet becuse the farmers cant look to get rich and the network will demosice return at a higher rate then the coin will climb . at some point it will all be worth and my own sake i hope it will be as long in the futore as my HDD will spin .
i have a secret

are old used drives realy worth it ? what do u think about fail rate ?
im asuming very low usage minimayze failure ?
heard about the idle state shipting state or something like thet thet wear the disk … do u know more abot failer ?

I have 20 wd elements (10 TB) non failed since 17 months. But 5 of my exos drivers (14 - 16 TB total of 15 disks) had I/O error and I send them to seagate for RMA. So I had to replot 5 drivers. Exos have 5 year guarantee, whereas WD has 2 year for RMA.

2 Likes

So i decide i will invest my resorce directly in chia coin , i will do so becuse i belive it is supirior to farming for my 20k$ invest. I will hold stablycoin for the time bean and will watch closly XCH price and hopefully i will jump in at the best moment.
I belive their will be liquedity in offers at around 3-5% emmition and i will sell current Xch holding for i cant see Xch price go up in the current state . I do belive thet XCH is promising and i see a futur where big farms will grow larger and giant farms will shake the chain founditions . But i dont see any danger in holding XCH becuz in the rising cryptograpic ecconomy and in the shaking world order the chia network will stand as a giant