Farmer only has 10 connected peers

Strange observation on my end. I have only 8 peers, despite the port being open on the firewall. Connecting to the node from off-network works fine, but I still seem to be limited. I bumped outbound peers to 16, and eventually got 16, but it seems like it is not allowing more inbound connections despite target_peer_count being 80.

So, maybe there’s a bug with these config vars? Unless I am misunderstanding something.

If you don’t mind, maybe you can share your IP address (PM if preferred), and we can take a look at the logs on both ends.

One more possibility is that maybe there is an issue with IPv6 (don’t know much about it). I saw on my end that my node couldn’t find IPv6 nodes (not that it couldn’t connect, rather stated that there is no such thing). (Just speculating with this one.)

1 Like

Will do. Yeah I checked another node that is public and that one has lots of connections. It has the original settings with 8 outbound peers and target count of 80. So, yeah maybe something is up with that other node, despite inbound connections appearing to be fine.

Just me, but I disabled all my IPv6 stuff on my network…

2 Likes

@Bones If you are up and running, maybe I could try to add you to the chat, as it looks like the problem is on the SSL level, at least for @chiameh box. He is trying to figure out how to go about that. Maybe your problem is the same.

You can, bit ive had a fare few bacardis today, just saying.
But I’m polite, happy to converse, and only merry, not drooling on the floor lol

1 Like

I have just sent an invite.

No worries, I will need just your IP, to check my logs. In @chiameh case, there are no traces in his logs, as that is an early termination.

Can we take this to dm group?
Easy to add more than one to dm.

Lol, my problem was a bad port forward. The node with problems had the node port (8444) forwarded to the farmer port (8447). Doh. All good after fixing that.

2 Likes

It’s the simplest things that get overlooked
Happy farming to you.

2 Likes

I have changed my 250 gb ssd boot to 500 gb. Now I feel better because although db file is v2, it grows somewhat logaritmic. Standart windows 11 (all unrelated apps removed) takes about 20 gigabyte space. I have about 400 gb empty space.

1 Like

If your both SSDs are good / fast, I would keep that 250GB in the box, and move your blockchain to it (separate from your OS SSD).

The v1 bc db was growing about 30 GB/month (due to dust storm), as it was shrunk by about 30% (another 10% was most likely due to vacuum), maybe v2 bc db will grow by 15 GB/month, at least it looks like that right now. Still, that is rather a stable growth mostly with dust storm transactions, so maybe it will not grow more than that per month. Still, if this dust storm will not stop, that is close to 200 GB / year. (so, maybe you should keep the 250 GB SSD as your boot, and use that 500 GB for your dbs :slight_smile: ).

An emergency solution should be found to avoid dust storm. I wanted to test my one nft to change to solo from pooling and it took 12 hours!!! In the end, an error showed in my wallet in spendable total chia. Then I deleted the wallet db file and restarted gui. İn a few minutes, the refreshed wallet was correct!!!

Something will need to be done about it for sure.
No business will use smart contracts on chia chain if they won’t function properly.

When the time comes to need more space I will get some of these. for me its easier to keep items in a standard space vs having files all in different locations. (copy the .chia and .chia_keys to a backup USB drive) Keep it simple. At this time all my machines have a 500gb boot SSD disk.

1 Like

I use an older Kingston and its working fine.
No need for the latest and greatest.

Now I’m using 500gb and I got them on ebay for less than $50.00 The 1TB will come down in price soon, when needed. What I’m realy waiting for is the 30 to 50tb for under $500.00

1 Like

if u really feel the need to

you can change in your config.yaml the number of connections you want to have…

check your port is open with a online port checker just to be sure…

Ok, so my ISP says the internet issue is officially fixed, but I am still limited with peers (currently connected to 11 nodes with no changes to config file). I’ve triple checked my router settings and confirmed port 8444 is open. I am completely out of ideas. Do you think it is worth just reinstalling Chia and seeing if it fixes the issue?

hell to the no I don’t think its worth it.

look. you don’t need 100 connections. ur fine with 10 good ones. don’t worry about it…

just upgrade to the latest version. and delete ur wallet.db file. and let it run

check your port is open with a port checker… just google port checker. give it ur public IP address and the port 8444. it will tell you if its open or not. so u can stop worrying if its a router thing…

to win blocks you just need to be synced… if u only had 10 connections and u where never synced id say do something about it. likeeeee
go into your config.yaml and change the number that says 10 to 100 connections.
reboot

but if your not having trouble staying synced than really don’t worry about it.

I don’t think you need to call it an issue… changing the stock config… is a issue tho… just keep it all simple as possible. if you have changed many settings u may want to just restart from scratch… than keep everything as it should be and just enter ur 24 key and farm

good luck