Farming with 4 GB of memory (Raspberry Pi 4B)

It’s the only way I could think to have a mobile chia full node. Ie not mounting any plots to it.
The Dumb windows box lol.
I created my own pool with harvesters. Basically.

But how many blocks have u won with a pi setup? Iv Hurd of 1 guy one time…?

There’s just so many support threads for misc. pi setups…. I just don’t think the combo works well. Fantastic concept…… but buy a used server… if you truly intend on winning.

Can you make a pig fly if u toss it off a cliff? Sure, I’d watch that.

But does that mean it’s something that should be done every day?.
No

Have u ever emulated Mario world 1 on a 4k tv… it’s kinda like that.

Throughing tiny rocks into the ocean :ocean: trying to make a tsunami…
when there be Pirates :pirate_flag: 🪄 out here

Why should winning a block be a problem? My log files looks good. Some warnings about 5 sec and dust storms maybe 10s. I read all below 15sec is good, because you have < 30 sec to validate a block.
This ist the same conversation when you talk in a craftman forum, no you have to buy the ultra expensive tool otherwise it’s not possible to do the work. ^^
Server hardware for what? Maybe the hard drives ok for durability but why you ned for example an intel Xeon CPU?

My response times are .0024 seconds. Typically.
No bs
Just sayin.

Server hardware is cheap. And can stack ram. Rams key to fast responses in chia I believe. And virtualizations big Deal. So I can purpose the server not just to chia.
Not dedicate one whole computer to just chia. I run Plex. And home assistant. A couple websites. And farm chia on my 11 year old 24 core server…. Plus they have extreamly high efficiency modes. Wich is cool. Paid 100$ for it, about what a pi costs pluss all the bells and whistles and it has 8 hot swap bays sas + sata…. Built in. It’s designed for chia seems like.

Sure it’s loud, and big. But it’s a gang of fun!
Can’t run proxmox on a pi sadly.
Although I did get proxmox backup server running well on a pi. Wich is cool. Considering it “can’t” run on arm.

Im not talking about response times this are well below 1sec (0.4 to 0.8). For plex, storage I run my own NAS (truenas) and yes in this system I do use server hardware because of zfs needs bit correction. My goal was a system only for chia with the lowest power consumption. Can I ask you what is your power draw and how many plots you have?

1 Like

honestly. currently I have a modest thousand plot farm. im no big fish. still growing.

would be cool to see a chia farm ran entirely off a single 12v power source… a battery with a solar panel… could be done. easy.

im ashamed to say im pulling around 10 amps at the wall when all 3 machines where plotting.
but with all my c states active just idle farming I do ok considering about 6 amps 120v at the wall. that’s all 3 enterprise servers… holding a lot of different machines inside. many flavors doing many things… one runs a kali os. a true Nass. windows server. . couple of ubuntu home services. chia , Cloudron. a plotter ct and a harvesters.
each harvesters uses all of its allotted memory… and max out all cores all the time

my point is I give my chia node lots of cores… and see spikes well above 4 cores for 5 minute intervals randomly on this vm… and it has 32 gigs of ram. maybe there’s something wrong with my server… why aren’t u seeing spikes on your pi like this…
are u just running ubuntu server from the cli a full node And no harvesters…?
can u properly graph and log ur cpus activity?

I like the idea design concept of that type of chia system but you gooooota at least use usb3. there’s a reason it says it on GitHub.

what file system do you use for plot storage?.. and why the ssd I still don’t get it. your not plotting on the pi? a large ssd cache/log for ur hard drives would make a lot of sense to me… still jbod, but linked with mhddfs xfs base… with the correct flags… altho with that. than u could always just creat a Ramdisk sense your limited. as long as it was a m.2 in your pi would work like a charm…

they make a case… that supports a nvme ssd integrated to a pi. called argon… so gangster.but it does kill a usb3 slot to do it. but a little splitter for the usb3 is all ya need.

please don’t lower your full nodes memory usage… that just unwise my guy. knee cappin your farm like that… u should be looking for ways to increase the amount of ram ur node uses… that’s why I doo… the more ram it uses… the less it fetches from disk. the faster your farm will be…

I hope some of what I said helps… not tryan to seem like a stuck up server snob…

there’s a lot of poor advice on here.
but truly I just want to help people on here…
especially when people have spent so so much.
than doin something silly like using usb2.0 and trying to lower ur ram usage of ur full node… cmon man.

but Xeons have a lot of “secret” features built in… its a time before what they knew they needed for enterprise servers… so they made up all sorts of stuff for this processors to do,“differently” than others.
there are unpublished manuals you can find. with all sorts of impressive data on Xeons…westmere ep gang gang

Sry, I didnt read everything you wrote, but did I get it right, that you say that faster response times decide, who gets the Block?

Btw. I once won a block on my pi after only a few weeks, but changed to flexfarmer after a few months.

1 Like

Hey my radio Shack TRS-80 is farming just fine :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

That is not what I’m sayin. That’s not how chia works exactly. The chosen

Well that’s re asuring. Was it over usb 2.0?

Can’t say for sure that.
It does say however.
When talking about using multiple machines aka full node with harvester machines~~
“This keeps your system simpler, uses less bandwidth, space, CPU, and also keeps your keys safer. It also makes your overall farm quicker and more efficient when replying to challenges.”

Wouldn’t I choose the more performant system?

Why decrease performance to its less than minimum.

I do believe the more performant system Wins in certain scenarios.

I understand that’s now how chia works all the time exactly. but lets say u do get the chance to make a block… and ur pi chokes because it’s run out of ram to do anything. And u fail. All it takes.

Further let’s say….my machine has the exact same answer as your pi. In that situation. In that race where speed doesn’t matter 90% of the time.

Yes the more performant system would win. Especially if pi chokes.

Speed/ performance do matter.
Silly to say it doesn’t and spek. Ur whole build to its bare bones because u think :thought_balloon: as long as ur x fast. Should be okay….

Naw I wana slam a block when I make it.
Not tip it over a fence….

But taking away usb 3.0 and lowering ram will only make the situation more worse…

Foolishness.
24 cores at 3.6ghz Xeon. Not overclocked…. U think a modern 4 or 6 core i5 or even. I7 stands a chance? Really?

Old enterprise gear has a million features baked into the processors And the boards that run them. Stuff modern pcs can’t dream of doing. My server when launched was thousands of dollars. And not sold to ANY consumers.

I think maybe the most modern of pcs” the last year or so ” maybe are finaly catching up to what enterprise gear was capable of 10 years ago. But that’s the nature of the buisnesss.

Sure ddr3 is slower. But a modern pc usually holds 32 gigs of ram. My server can hold over 280gb….

Stands a chance at what?
Plotting.
Even my 8350s plot ok, my 11th gen intel plots much faster though.

Interesting. I never thought to plot on my gaming pc 10600k :sweat_smile:. But I’ll give it a whirle. Just To bad I can’t use mad max… or 150gb of ram… but I’m sure ur right. It’s prolly faster

I get 40 ish min plots, plenty fast enough for me.

What type of server do you have (model number) I’m always looking for good hardware.

I have a older dual processor hp proliant g6 (14 bays)… a dell t710 revision 2(8 bays)… and a lil r410(4 bays) each kitted out with best processors for their models. each with around 100gb of ram…each holds dual processors with 24 cores.
run all my containers and VMS on a 100 disk fiber SAN with 15k sas drives 140gb.
best plots are 40 minutes easy, when. plotting on all 3 its about 3.5 plots every hour.
I got most of it broken… freee. that Iv fixed / restored
the hp is from Napster himself. true story,
but
id trade it all for a few pies and a splitter if your interested. :rofl:

You’ve got me beat, the best I could get out of the r710 was 50 minutes per plot.

My solid
40 minute plots on t710
Came from the dual X5690’s
3.4ghz 34 cores.
Plotting directly to ram.
It’s a revision 2 motherboard.
May have something to do with it.
Best I saw was 38 minutes when I was plotting.

I should really take more pictures I’m sure most think I’m just blowing smoke.

Well you will have to tell us more about the smoke. I like all those extra cores…

2 Likes

Why care, let them think what they will.

To be fair, you didn’t help ya sen…
You posted pvt stuff about me…
Wouldn’t listen to reason.
Bang out of order, and you’ve yet to apologise.
Tsk tsk, I hope the karma gods go easy on ya I’m not one to hold a grudge.
Blessed be.

1 Like

My bad my bad. Mistype. It’s 6 cores 12 with hyper threading on. And the motherboard holds 2. For a total of

24 cores