Fork of Chia - Chaingreen

Of course, i been in crypto/IT long enough to know all those, but thanks though.

Thanks for sharing this, the most exciting thing after chia and madmaxā€¦

1 Like

You are not able to double plot because plots and wallet have another keys.If so chaingreen will either not see your plots or will not farm and harvest.If Iā€™m wrong,please,share the way how to.

So, when syncing issue, what are the IP and ports, please?

Is this the rumored project that had no pre-farm but the founders were keeping secret, allowing them to win every coin at first? Iā€™m really curious what the netspace and distribution looks like so far, but I also donā€™t feel like downloading buggy/dodgy software.

What is the business paper like? Will there be unlimited coins distributed or just plain copy of Chia? I wonder

There is no double plotting. You can probably plot Chia compatible plots using the Chaingreen client, but they are sort of one version behind on the Client GUI. No plotting improvements in 1.1.7, so it may not matter.

You are able to farm your Chia plots using both Chia and Chaingreen at the same time.

Right now Chaingreen users are having trouble syncing.

I think it may simply be not enough peers yet. They may just need more members and, like Chia, their total storage is expanding faster than they anticipated.

Chaingreen is buggy but they appear to be working hard on it.

Some discord peeps asked others to stop talking about Chaingreen in Chia forums, lol! They do not want the competition.

Iā€™m trying it just because it should enable me to farm the same plots for two coins. First I need to sync, lolz!

Do they use the same port as Chia? That could affect syncingā€¦

No, they use port 8744. They have a problem with Chaingreen client accepting 8444 connections. You have to set your firewall to allow 8744 for Chaingreen, and another rule to NOT allow 8444.

My Chia Client briefly lost connection while minimized and working on Chaingreen client. Worked again within seconds of bringing up window again, but obviously they are sharing some resources, at least.

My machine is weak and puny. I have no idea if a more powerful machine would care.

I was also thinking of moving Completed plots to NAS and farming them with Chia client on one machine and Chaingreen client on another.

Have you actually done this? Because I donā€™t think you can.

There are many doing this right now ā€¦ except almost none are synced.

I have not synced, but my Chia plots show up in Chaingreen as being good ā€¦ just yellow and not farming as I am not synced.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but this would require the same privKey between Chia and the forkā€¦ and this in turn will compromise your entire Chia operation by giving your privKey to a copy/paste fork from not so reputable people.

1 Like

I donā€™t know your answer, but maybe you have solution by giving me an answer.

Do you actually give your private keys when using the Chia client or is the private key just used locally?

In other words, when I set up the Chaingreen client and enter my Chia private key to farm my already created plot on Chaingreen, does Chaingreen somehow get my Private key?

If so, is this not also true of Chia?

1 Like

The farmer needs the private key tied to the plots to farm them.
Thatā€™s why if someone sells you their plots, it should come with their private key.

A plotter doesnā€™t need the private key, only the public (derived keys) for farmer + pool
and thatā€™s why PaaS (Plotting as a Service) worksā€¦ people can create the correct plots for you, without you having to give out your privKey

Now youā€™re saying you have two farmers (fork & Chia) farming on the same plotsā€¦ this implies you are sharing your Chia privKey with the forkā€¦ and in my opinion that would trash your Chia operationā€¦ as mentioned this fork is a copy/paste from not so reputable people.

Sharing? What does that really mean? (as I asked more clearly in my last post after editing, lol)

Could Chia or Chaingreen empty my wallet?

Chia init creates your privKey / wallet etc, on linux itā€™s out in the open.
run Chia Init again and it will look if a privKey is there and wonā€™t create another.
The GUI reads the privKey so the farmer can work.

how the fork works I donā€™t knowā€¦
I assume they have their own privKey path, but maybe it shares the same with Chia?
maybe you copied the Chia privKey to their key path?

again, you claim to be able to farm plots created with your Chia PrivKey with the fork farmer ā† hence the fork farmer must have access to the Chia privKey

whoever has access to your privKey can empty your walletā€¦

So Chia can empty my wallet?

Chaingreen is using slightly behind copied software from Chia. They should have no abilities that Chia does not.

It was built to farm Chia produced plots.

I do not, but many that actually understand the fork (and have been watching Chiagreen from day one, or close) have given Chaingreen an integrity thumbs up. No mention of disreputable peeps in the forums. Main complaints are about buggy coding ā€¦ sound new, lol?

So if they have not inserted some nasty code into the fork and slipped it by the coders I do not see large reason for concern.

However, I clearly hear your concerns and would like to understand better.

1 Like

you do you mate :slight_smile:

I see a cheap template website, wrong github URL in the website
An inexperienced team that changed branding and the genesis block and no other tech improvements with their copy/paste of Chia
LinkedIn profiles go to a non-reputable crypto exchange with only 3 reviews, but the most recent screams SCAM.

I would not let their software even close to my Chia farmā€¦

as to your question, can Chia see my private keyā€¦ Their software runs from it, and while the current Chia software doesnā€™t send the privKey anywhere, a future update may.
Thatā€™s why it was such a big deal when the Chia Wiki pointed to a malicious update of Chia.

Are you going to review the fork with each update to make sure they donā€™t steal your Chia privKey and empty your wallet? maybeā€¦ more likely you wonā€™tā€¦
Should you review an update to the Chia softwareā€¦ yes (but likely you wonā€™t), but at least itā€™s from a reputable source and not a copy/paste job.

3 Likes

I will investigate further.

You might want to have a look at the discord and github Chaingreen forums.

Iā€™m pretty paranoid myself and did the research within my knowledge level before considering installing their software. I may be wrong, but as a former professional fraud artist lol, it does not smell bad to me.

BTW the scam cry is about known issues (lack of sync and false winnings) with no info regarding a scam.