Full node syncing length

Is it normal for a full node wallet to take over 24 hours to fully sync the first time?

Just getting going with my 1st plot.
Thanks

1 Like

Depending on your setup(pc cpu speed boot hard disk should be SSD) it could take a couple of days.

1 Like

Ok thanks. It says connected, but its still loading blocks from Jun 2021.
I saw something in the wiki about adding known nodes, but i do t see how to do that in the GUI.

I just decided to catch up on my backup node last run Jun 19, 2022. It took an awful long time, almost a day to get it up to now. I was surprised it was so slowā€¦still. Compared to some other un-named chains, itā€™s pitifully slow.

2 Likes

Hopefully the new timelords will help.itll ha e to be faster if they want it to work for all their yse cases.

1 Like

Timelords just regulate block spacing afaik.

Hmm, ok, they compress a bit but i dont think we can expect much, id imagine most of the chain is already as compressed from their work as can be, and just more recent compression is still to be done, i wouldnt expect much gain from that sync wise.

1 Like

Geez sorry for all my typos. Thanks for the info. I misunderstood.

1 Like

Good luck on the plotting - youā€™ll have your Chia lottery ticket ready for when you sync up :sunglasses:

And as the others said, first sync is a bit rough, but once the node is caught up, some sweet sweet Chia is within grasp.

Welcome to the club!

1 Like

Thank you @Captain_Plots-a-lot .
Is there a way to add specific nodes to connect to or is that an old process?

1 Like

Iā€™m not in front of my computer, but in the GUI, I thought clicking the ā€˜nodeā€™ text (next to ā€˜walletā€™ at the top) drops down a whole list of farmers, nodes, and harvesters I think. Maybe there are more connected after a full sync, Iā€™m not sure. Maybe there is an option to kick or add - Iā€™ll have to check tonight.

1 Like

Im on 1.6.0 , i can no longer see a place to add them via the gui.

Maybe its possible to manually edit the peers in the db folder but im not advising it as ive never tried it.

You can raise your peer count via editing config.yaml , how many peers have you currently?

You can download the databaseā€¦ There are a few places. I canā€™t remember where, but if you ask on the spacepool discord, Iā€™m sure someone will direct you.
Then your sync time will be quick

really are you able to download the database and just place the file?

Huh, yes definitely. There are a few download places. Some charge a small fee, but there is a free one somewhere

1 Like

This claims to be free, but i have no idea about the integrity of the site.

https://xchguidedb.com/

1 Like

So if i switch from the gui to cli do i have to go through the entire sync process to get my full node online?

Nope! They draw from the same spot; pretty handy :sunglasses:!

1 Like

And just to be ā€œthat guy,ā€ technically the Chia team thumbs downs full DB downloads off the net. Yes it works, but itā€™s an attack vector if someone gets enough phony DBs out in the wild. Chances are low and itā€™s probably fine though (way easier to phish or NFT scam than to rewrite Chia history so they probably arenā€™t changing DB entries).

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m fine to wait too. Im up to August of 2021.
Iā€™d rather make sure its correct. I have lots of plotting to do anyway.

2 Likes

If you go to the Full Node tab and scroll down to Connections, you can add and remove peers there with the ā€œConnect To Other Peersā€ button.

Full node blockchain sync can take from a couple days to a couple weeks. On a pi4b with USB 3 SSD, a full sync was about 8-9 days earlier this year. Havenā€™t tried since then, but thatā€™s a worst case situation. On a modern full-scale system Iā€™d expect ~3 days.

2 Likes