Gigahorse GPU Plotter, GPU Farmer, Plot Sink: Boost Your Chia Farm by 47.2%! Plot in <2 Minutes

100k is the most you can expect from Chia, and half of that will go to a lawyer to make sure you get anything in the first place.

7 Likes

Somebody run me through the math here. Not that I don’t appreciate Max’s great work(s) and innovation in general, but I don’t really see an angle here. Though much depends on the actual power draw from the GPU for farming (and your kwh price of course ).

If I add a 3060 to my farm, and it end up running at 150W, that basically doubles my power draw @ 0,40/kwh, while revenue is up by 40%. Not to mention first having to replot and buy a 3060, or at least dedicating a GPU for farming.

1 Like

Wish I could say “I don’t believe it’s that bad” :sweat_smile: but somehow I do believe it

1 Like

thanks for the answer

I still have a few questions,

1. will the plotting & farming also be possible completely without GPU (CPU only)?

2. are also 34K possible plot & farm? (CPU only)

3. are there rough benchmark values for a CPU only farmer for compression level 6-9?

plotts with higher K values have the advantage that less proofs have to be calculated with similar computational effort per proof.

You dont need a 3060 for such a small farm. A 1050 would be enough for sure.

However it’s true that for small farms adding a discrete GPU is a problem. But you can get a Jetson Xavier NX for example, they run at low power and have a GPU on chip.

4 Likes
  1. yes, already supported
  2. yes, on GPU too. k34 C4 / C5 at most on CPU.
  3. the compute needed roughly doubles for every C level, except C9 which is like 10x more on CPU.

plotts with higher K values have the advantage that less proofs have to be calculated with similar computational effort per proof.

No, computational effort is roughly proportional to plot size. So k34 is at least 4.25 times more compute for a proof than k32, at the same C level.

4 Likes

ok then i misunderstood something, thanks for the clarification.

then at least until compression lev8 CPU farming should also be possible without problems for farms smaller than 1 PB if that is not a raspi.

2 Likes

ok i’m lost now. so GPU is going to be used for farming(full_node) not just for plotting?

should i switch my 1060 3gb for let’s say 3080?

No, the issue is computing a full proof with C8 takes too long on CPU, more than 25 sec, at least for k32+

1 Like

1060 is pretty good for farming, but no good for plotting…

1 Like

Would a Nvidia Jetson Nano too slow for farming?

• AI Perf: 472 GFLOPS
  • GPU: 128-core NVIDIA Maxwell™
  • CPU: Quad-core ARM A57 @ 1.43 GHz
  • Memory: 4GB 64-bit LPDDR4 25.6GB/s
2 Likes

Thanks for all the info Chris!

So for those of us using Flexfarmer what is the max compression we can run if GPU farming is not implemented? I guess it depends on farm size?

are the going to be options who is in charge of farming CPU/GPU/Both ?

also what are these levels? i don’t know any levels i just used to farm k32/k33/k34 with your tool, max. thanks a mil for this btw :green_heart:

i never seen any options (cli argument) for manage those levels

1 Like

and let me repeat my concern, is 3080 good pick for our purposes keeping in mind future updates or there are few more curious devices?

1 Like

Dangerous game you’re playing with!

Closed source, dev fees, plots that may only work with certain pools…

There is a good reason why Space and HPool are the only ones that make a profit when it comes to pools! They keep with the open source and the original concept of Chia!

We have to remember the original foundation Chia was built on.

What’s next? ACIC specific Chia plotters and harvesters? Not the direct I want Chia to be going….

9 Likes

what are you talking about you seem need just one so-so GPU for both purposes, your farm size still is the key

get in the science way dude :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

We (NoSSD) grow by 10-15% each week. Is this your idea of “leaving people”?

It’s not 100% confirmed that Flexfarmer will support compressed plots.

It’ll depend on farm size and your cpu. Tests are definitely needed.

1 Like

Max excellent work sharing this with the public. Fact of the matter is I am sure you could have sold the code to large farms and up to and including Chia Network.

To everyone who is crying over paying a dev fee, welcome to Crypto mining. It was inevitable that a talented developer would increase the value of plotting by raising the bar on what is possible. Sure 6.25% is higher than normal 1-3% mining software fees, but first to market (GPU plotting) has it’s benefits. Furthermore with a fee bar this relatively high, it encourages further hybrid plotter development. The next plotter could be 4% fee which would put pressure on Max to lower his also.

But make no mistake this is extremely positive news for this space. In crypto you want (sorry Max not you directly) money hungry developers. This creates a synergy of competing development that pushes the best projects to the top. Go to dead projects that all the devs left and you would gladly pay the fees to bring them back.

Enjoy the ride my fellow Chians, this space is booming with active development. Please step up and support their efforts.

5 Likes

For higher C levels it’s too slow yes, maybe C6 for small farms is ok.

1 Like