Goodbye SSD. Welcome RAM. BladeBit is here - a plotter under 6 mins

It looks very interesting, but I will be done replotting in 2 weeks.

Not really worth pulling the system apart selling the current memory and then buying 512 GB of new memory just to save 25% writes.

Should be awesome if you already have the memory though

1 Like

I am running Bladebit now on a 64-core Threadripper Pro with 512GB of RAM. Plot finished in 8.3 minutes! This is incredible. All threads are maxed out to 100% during the process.

5 Likes

Assume it plots in 8-min, which can produce 180 plots a day.
And, normally a 128g of ram should output ~50 plots a day.

It requires 3*128g + 64g of ram to run, so I would say it’s similar output between madmax and blade.

1 Like

Can you show specs cpu + mem please! Cpu clock, memory bus, cas

Good frame of analysis @chia800

The real application here would be plotting on cloud resources, as the creator originally set out. Buy some spot instances on AWS, and then download the plots. At this point you’d be swapping one bottleneck for another though. With a gigabit internet connection you are going to taking 3 times as long to download each plot as it takes to generate.

If you have an older workstation tricked out with DDR3 ram this must be really cool.

As others have written though - we are kind of all being dumb talking about plotting speeds still. This mattered months ago, in the early rush to have some plots in place at launch and get the early bonanza that really did happen when Chia first priced ! But now, speed isn’t relevant. We are in the long game now where all that will matter is being able to source really cheap hardware and maintain in at really low cost for a really long time. Really, unless plotting speeds get down to a plot being generated in a few seconds, the game isn’t changing. We need to update our infatuation and find ways to source cheap ex data center hard drives , and stop talking about speed

(as cool as speed is - and I love that this almost gives me an excuse to buy an old T7920 or a Threadripper… almost ….)

Not the most practical of ideas. Take a look at Amazon S3 Simple Storage Service Pricing - Amazon Web Services for the storage pricing and download pricing. You pay per GB you store (how much data is on your server per month) and also, you pay a fee per GB downloaded. At base, it is $0.09 per GB downloaded up to 10TB (9.999TB) and 2.3 cents per GB stored up to 50TB. It can get expensive rather quickly if you aren’t careful.

Your CPU is 3995WX??

Yes it is! Not cheap but very fast and supports up to 2 TB of RAM

I dont know if i can buy 3995WX but i have a asus wrx80 for this ryzen, i dont know if buy 3975WX maybe.

3995WX 64 core 4.2Ghz + 512 GB RAM you need 8.3 minutes.
In video clip he got 5.7 minutes with 64 core ARM + 503GB RAM server :thinking:
Something wrong …

1 Like

Unless you’re new to Chia farming!

1 Like

I mean, that’s one positive way to look at it from a madmax user’s standpoint that doesn’t have 512GB of RAM lol. But, if you’re trying to fill big data quickly, or you have LOTS of drives to fill, in no world anywhere is 50 plots per day the same output as 180 plots per day. By the way, I am one of those madmax users I spoke of lol.

Do you need to make a RAMDISK to run Bladebit? I have a R820 server with 512 GB RAM. But, the plot times I am getting from using bladebit is very slow. I dont know what I am doing wrong? Can you guys tell me what command do you use in the terminal to run bladebit?

No you don’t. Just have the memory available. Bladebit will do the rest

What are your times? What kind of disk are you using for the final directory? Bladebit has to copy the final plot from RAM to disk at the end, and if your final target is on a slow drive, most of the time will be spent copying from RAM to this drive. NVME is best, then SSD, then HDD of course…

Yes, that is correct. The plot itself takes 1230 sec. It is from the HDD, the HDD take 45 min to write the plot, since it is an external drive connected through a USB 2.0 drive. Is there any way to accelerate the transfer speed to this drive without need to buy an NVMe and also burn through it, which in my opinion defeats the purpose of RAM only plotting. Can I get any sort of expansion card that would connect to the PCIe slots and give me USB 3.0 port instead. I would appreciate any other ideas as well that would not need me to burn through another SSD or NVMe.
Thanks,

Just go on Amazon and type pcie usb3 in the search bar.
Don’t know what slots you have in your machine but important is nr of pcie lanes needed and profile height.
usb-c needs x4 lanes, usb3.0 can get by on x1 i think. Some cards have brackets for both high and low profile.
I have good experiences with StarTech brand;-)

1 Like

Thanks, I did get a PCIe NVMe at the end with a Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVMe. Now I need a bash script that would move the files automatically over to the HDD whenever the plot is completed in the NVMe drive. Does anyone have a bash script that does this by specify the temp (NVMe) and final (HDD) directories.

Thanks,

I use this little program. Works well for me.