GPU Crypto Mining Riser For Plotter

Just wondered if anyone has tried using a GPU crypto mining riser for plotting? I have a 1U server and can’t fit anything bigger than a Tesla P4 for obvious reasons. So I’m wondering if you’d get enough bandwidth through the GPU mining riser or is it a non starter?

1 Like

You mean those usb cable things? Those have very limited bandwidth.
Should use a proper riser cable for that. You really want the full bandwidth for plotting

1 Like

Roger that Voodoo. I kinda thought as much, just had one handy so thought I’d ask :grin:. As always, thanks for your lightning :zap: quick response :+1:t3:

1 Like

Another option is this type of cable - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5YNGDJ

As long as you can get it outside of the box, and you also get power cables, that should do the job.

1 Like

Yes you need the big 16x ones.

The small ones won’t have full bandwidth. They’re used for gpu mining because bandwidth is not important there, but for plotting you actually need bandwidth between gpu and rest of the computer.

2 Likes

I use this and working fine.
Cooler master universal pci-e 4.0 x16 riser cable - 300mm

The smaller used-to mine not working. I tested.

2 Likes

pcie 4.0 has got signaling issues. any riser/extension such as ASUS ROG works well. some cards even work in pcie 4.0 mode

For anyone that’s ever thought about doing something similar, this is where my journey took me.
Dell R620 1U Server, fitted with a GTX 1070.

2 Likes