Has anyone here personally killed an NVME ? (NVME Endurance)

My apologies for the late response, it was less than 300 TB of plots created. My drive was 2 TB.

That’s about 3900 tbw, not too bad really

Not yet! My little 500GB SN750 is still hanging in there! Got 2 of them sitting over 1PiB writes!

Have you thought about retiring them into regular farming drives ?

Using them as buffer drives for Bladebit now. I’ve switched over to 512GB of ram and given them a little lighter work load.

1 Like

1 Like

Samsung should give me an award. Real use test. No performance loss of 6000 TBW.

2 Likes

Maybe if you contact them, they will ask to get the drive back and send you a new one, just like toyota did to their customers with very high mileage cars :slight_smile: Probably not, but maybe.

2 Likes

Suddenly my two NVME are dying. Both are Crucial P5 500GB. When doing MadMax yesterday one became very slow. One work some time good some time slow. I stopped MadMax and scanned both with crystal disk utility. Both reported OK speed. Back to MadMax then same thing happened. One was very slow and one was on and off working. So I killed some NVME?

How long have you had them? warranty???

June 2021 I bought whole lot of stuffs.

Could try running this on them.

Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support (wdc.com) new link to download sw

i dont know why so many people using samsung with low TBW or this expensive intel optane.

my current TBWs from my used plotting nvme:

1. GIGABITE GP-AG42TB (factory TBW 3.6 PB) current TBW 1.99 PB
  2. GIGABITE GP-AG42TB (factory TBW 3.6 PB) current TBW 4.17 PB
  3. TS2TMTE2206 (factory TBW 4.4 PB) current TBW 1.89 PB
  4. GIGABITE GP-ASM2NE6200TTTD (factory TBW 3.6 PB) current TBW 3.94 PB
  5. TS2TMTE2206 (factory TBW 4.4 PB) current TBW 0.65 PB

i only killed my 5 year old 256GB Samsung SSD, what was used for my farmer till 2 months ago.
i dont know how many TBWs i used but it cant be much, because it was only used 2 weeks till i replaced it for a bigger one and 4 years later i used this old drive for my farming system. and after 3 months it broke :frowning:

CS3030

I just guess PNY executives should have had more trust in their engineers work…
This SSD passed his expected lifetime without burning any of its “reserve” cells.
It just kept plotting for months without any issue.
Techies are kind of witches whorshippers sometimes…

I’ve come around to the opinion that an SSD warranty is similar to say, a TV warranty. You expect a new TV to last longer than, say, 90 days that the warranty is allowing. It doesn’t mean it’s not a good TV… Or will last just 90 days. Consumer TBW spec sets a price point they will cover use, enterprise is something else again, you have to pay for more guaranteed service.

Without meaningful specs on TBW, Chia plotting is a great real world test. The results people get are better than encouraging! For once, an item often outperforms its own spec! How great is that?

As to not getting why some like Samsung, or Optane, I guess because they bought them, use them and like them. You like what you have. Too bad your tiny 5 yr old ssd that gave its all for you :dizzy_face: died, but that shouldn’t be a reflection on all Samy products.

Perhaps someone can same me the trouble of reading through this long thread?

1. Did anyone post performance testing on various NVMe drives?

I do not mean general benchmark testing, because I have never seen a benchmark test that hammers the drive the way Chia plotting hammers the drive. Most NVMe drives are very fast until their cache runs out (and Chia plotting makes the cache run out). Benchmark testing does not exceed the cache of the drive being tested, so it is not a valid test for Chia plotting performance.

Benchmarks could be run to fully test drives. But I have never seen such benchmark testing.

I am curious about testing on NVMe drives that do not slow down. Most slow down when they run out of cache, and speed back up again when they are given a chance to empty their cache. Chia plotting does not give the drive a chance to empty its cache, which makes Chia plotting a type of test that typical benchmark tests do not cover.

I have been using Samsung 980 Pro NVMes with excellent results. The drive never slows down.
But are there faster plotting drives? Which ones? How much faster are they? And how do we know they are faster?

1. I have read about how good Enterprise NVMe drives are.
    How do you identify an Enterprise drive? Does anyone have a list?
    Who sells them?

Understanding reviews and testing is a learned skill, and applies to SSDs, both consumer and enterprise. However, there are great differences on just how they are tested and evaluated. For example, consumer reviews don’t typically test what enterprise evaluators do. Here’s a typical quote from an enterprise review on storagereview.com > Micron 7400 Pro SSD Review - StorageReview.com

In our Sysbench tests, we saw the 7400 Pro performed in the upper part of the leaderboard with aggregate scores of 10,744 TPS, 11.19ms in average latency, and 22.05ms in a worst-case scenario; all of which took the top spot. Results were similar during our SQL Server transactional benchmark, posting 12,648 TPS and an average latency of 3.5ms.

Switching over to VDBench, the Micron 7400 Pro continued this trend, often finding itself among the middle part of the leader board and higher (though it did struggle in writes). Highlights include 1.01 million IOPS read and 448K IOPS write in our 4k workloads, while hitting 5.37GB/s in 64K read, 2.61GB/s in 64K write, 3GB/s read in 16K read, 2.6GB/s in 16K writes, during our sequential workloads. Our mixed 70/30 profiles recorded 527k IOPS in 4K, 338K IOPS in 8K, and 211K IOPS in 16K.

In our SQL testing, the 7400 Pro saw peaks of 271K IOPS, 256K IOPS in SQL 90-10, and 265K IOPS in SQL 80-20, making it the best overall performer. Oracle workloads showed similar results, recording 266K IOPS, 199K IOPS in Oracle 90-10, and 196K IOPS in Oracle 80-20.

This is nothing like what a typical consumer drive review reads like, and good that! Because if you understand the above, you’re probably in that environment to know how these tests apply towards your application(s). If not, they are quite opaque, however that’s what potential enterprise customers want to know.

In the end reading a lot of reviews and learning helps to understand the results, whether consumer or enterprise. But experience is the best teacher and can help you evaluate product you may want to investigate further.

Ones dedication to a task and willingness to explore the internet to find good info is great fun and will give you answers about this. Just keep reading and learning. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

PS Samsung makes many excellent ‘enterprise’ (perhaps you want to check out ‘data center’ nvme drives?) drives too aimed at different computing tasks > Enterprise SSD | SSD Storage | Samsung Semiconductor Global

1 Like

I can tell you that my “Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB” it’s still working and poltting without problems. I’m plotting one plot arround 43 min, using a Ramdisk (120gb) like second temporal and the first temporal my old SSD. I have a new one waiting for the colapse but I’m sure that it will finish his job for sure.

1 Like

Tomshardware reviews of ssd’s include tested speed after cache runs out. So you then get to the native nand write speed that it can sustain.
Very usefull resource for selecting a plotting drive.

1 Like