Has anyone here personally killed an NVME ? (NVME Endurance)

I’m just searching for accurate data.

Samsung Magician (free download from Samsung) would give us the real and accurate number for TBW on your drive.

218296194583 * 512B to TB = 111.767652 TB. It’s rated for 72TBW

A little research found that your 256GB Samsung 840 EVO is warranted for 150TBW as I suspected.

840 EVO Series - 128GB/256GB - 10 years or 150 TB TBW

Incorrect baselines lead to miscalculation.

If you wish to contribute to this study of actual drive failure rates against warranted, please download Samsung Magician and give us accurate info on your TBW,

I am on my way:

But I think I will run out of disk space to store plots before they really die. Don’t plan to buy HDDs anymore, I’ve used up all my money and it’s impossible to find hard disks here in Australia (any aussie who’s got a hot tip please let me know :D)

Hi, how do I run manual trim on Ubuntu please?

No idea, but this thread has some info on how to change the scheduled trims in Ubuntu

1 Like

edit: still running!

4 Likes

it’s still running? @jadatmag

1 Like

To manual trim on Ubuntu:
sudo fstrim -av

2 Likes

Thanks a lot good man…

I am also using a couple of Samsungs, so far no issues. can’t complain about the tempratures or the speeds really.

Darn … I first got a Sabrent Rocket 4TB and it died on day one. I wish I had gotten yours! lol!

Was it the Rocket Q, the original (blue) Sabrent Rocket or the New peach color Rocket? I was contemplating getting one of the new ones due to write speed.

My rocket was blue, lolz!

That’s why. I can’t find any info on the blue drives’ endurance other than 5 year life with average usage. I can’t find the exact TBW of the peach drives (I know I saw it somewhere) but I know Sabrent has that somewhere and I think that it is a decently high number.

Did you get warranty replacement?

I have only used it over PCI-3 and inside an usb nvme enclosure. Maybe that will prolong it’s life.

I bought my Sabrent on Amazon. Shipped it back yesterday and expect to be credited for it soon.

I used a good heat sink for the Sabrent and have good, full-time airflow in the cabinet. It de-mounted itself in hours. Managed to remount and format it once, but it de-mounted again immediately. Just a bad drive.

My replacement, a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB (1.81TB) lives in the same place, without a heat sink and sprints happily at an almost constant 54C. :grinning:

You serious? Goes down till 0? And still running?

Remember that the TBW are just warranty estimates. All of those are low. If a drive has 1700TBW for example, it can surely do more write cycles before it dies. In my case, I expect my measly 300 write cycles will do closer to 400 before the drives die. I will not take the chance. Once the drives hit 25% life, I will retire them from Chia and either get new ones or quit plotting (unless the more likely happens and I quit plotting because I run out of farming HDD space 1st).

1 Like

I expect at least double the TBW in all honesty. But I haven’t done the research or have any experience with going over the TBW.