Has anyone here personally killed an NVME ? (NVME Endurance)

@juppin I wish I knew of a good way to identify the crappy CS3030 drives. I ordered two 1tb drives together from Amazon. One is wearing much faster than the other. I also, ordered a 2tb from Newegg and it appears to be good. I suspect that the good ones will always have the Toshiba chips. I will inspect the bad one the next time I shut down plotting. Reading the smart data, the only difference I see is the firmware version. All of them had hourly trim enabled at first, but now have the ‘discard’ flag set in the fstab file (Ubuntu).

“GOOD”
Model Number: PNY CS3030 1TB SSD
Firmware Version: CS303320
Percentage Used: 12%
Data Units Written: 229 TB

“GOOD”
Model Number: PNY CS3030 2TB SSD
Firmware Version: CS303132
Percentage Used: 5%
Data Units Written: 243 TB

“NOT SO GOOD”
Model Number: PNY CS3030 1TB SSD
Firmware Version: CS303227
Percentage Used: 42%
Data Units Written: 340 TB

I will probably pick up another Inland Premium since PNY seems to have downgraded this model.

2 Likes

You can see my SMART data here Testing out your hard drives via SMART checks - #11 by codinghorror

For a single plot (by that I mean constantly writing a single plot, not parallel, but sequential), on a 970 pro, it went from 91% good to 85% good over a period of 35 days … so every day you plot, for each plot, that is -0.17% endurance for this particular model of SSD.

By my math, that’d require ~583 days of continuous plotting, to get from 100% to 0% good?

If you were doing, say, 4 plots in parallel then it’d be 583/4 = 145 days to get from 100% to 0% good.

3 Likes

That means nothing, becouse people are saying based on stadistics that they did x500% life.

I’ve got a 240GB Samsung 840 that’s way above 100% used and going strong. It doesn’t say how much of the spare it has used in % (sata not nvme) but only 72 sectors have been replaced, which is only a few kilobytes. It has 6.5 year hours of on time.

1 Like

Right, I understand… that’s only using the Samsung built in numbers. But it gives you an idea of the official stance.

Using Samsung Magician you can find your TBW.

TBW gives us a much better baseline than how many hours the drive has been turned on.

Your 250GB Samsung EVO is probably warranted for 150TBW and the question is how many TBW it has actually written.

There’s no need. You can math it from the Total LBA’s written, but i don’t have the script handy. I’m pretty sure it was above 130% used up. What you don’t have is much how of the SPARE it has used already with those 72 sectors

I’m just searching for accurate data.

Samsung Magician (free download from Samsung) would give us the real and accurate number for TBW on your drive.

218296194583 * 512B to TB = 111.767652 TB. It’s rated for 72TBW

A little research found that your 256GB Samsung 840 EVO is warranted for 150TBW as I suspected.

840 EVO Series - 128GB/256GB - 10 years or 150 TB TBW

Incorrect baselines lead to miscalculation.

If you wish to contribute to this study of actual drive failure rates against warranted, please download Samsung Magician and give us accurate info on your TBW,

I am on my way:

But I think I will run out of disk space to store plots before they really die. Don’t plan to buy HDDs anymore, I’ve used up all my money and it’s impossible to find hard disks here in Australia (any aussie who’s got a hot tip please let me know :D)

Hi, how do I run manual trim on Ubuntu please?

No idea, but this thread has some info on how to change the scheduled trims in Ubuntu

1 Like

edit: still running!

4 Likes

it’s still running? @jadatmag

1 Like

To manual trim on Ubuntu:
sudo fstrim -av

2 Likes

Thanks a lot good man…

I am also using a couple of Samsungs, so far no issues. can’t complain about the tempratures or the speeds really.

Darn … I first got a Sabrent Rocket 4TB and it died on day one. I wish I had gotten yours! lol!

Was it the Rocket Q, the original (blue) Sabrent Rocket or the New peach color Rocket? I was contemplating getting one of the new ones due to write speed.