HDD Raid 0 array for Plotting

His is maxing at 144 GB or so. It is few years older than ours.

Also, cannot wait for your BB report :slight_smile:

Thanks both. Great help. I have found a local selling a whole PowerEdge for cheap ($370USD - I’m not in the US). I might buy it just for the 128GB RAM and keep the rest for spares.

What kind of CPUs and board? What are the specs?

Dell PowerEdge R810 - 128GB Ram, single Sata HDD

Actually, if you have on hand a spare SSD, and have one extra SAS/SATA port, I would try to add that as -t folder, just to check whether it makes a difference.

I also forgot, that is a 2U box, so maybe you need to watch processor temps and frequencies to see whether it is not temp-throttling.

I’d also like to add that while I’m plotting, I noticed a slight performance gain by ramping my fans to full all the time. I bought a couple of Dynatron R5’s for my CPUs. They work amazingly well with the e5 v2 cpus. They aren’t the quietest though. My CPUs never go over 65 degress C and that’s under full load. @square_eyes that’s a quad CPU setup you’re looking at right?

@RobbieL811 yep quad CPU

I think @DigitalSpaceport did a video on a machine similar to this running Bladebit. IIRC someone donated it to him to tinker with on his channel. He has a discord. He might be able to drop the link for you here. If you end up purchasing that machine, might be a good place to start tuning… 40 cores is gonna be nice!

1 Like

Mrs gonna kill me. Lucky my last impulse buy was a rack. Muhahah.

Your theoretical limit is the speed of your drives to write 1300gib. You won’t get close to that because some part of the plotting is IO intensive, but that gives you a rough estimate of how close you can get to your drive specs.

Adding some ram would be very beneficial for the speed, but I’d be happy with any old rig that could output 1tb of plots a day.

Just stand by the beast running full blast and say “whaaaat” and point to your ears when she shows up to find out just WTF is making the noise. :rofl:

I see you are looking at a R810 with just 128GB ddr3, you might try to check for a R420/R620 or similar which would produce plots at the same rate, but also consume much less electric. The 11th gen quad socket R810 is an energy eating beast.

1 Like