Help Mining Chia with 2 - HP Proliant Gen 8 Servers and 1 PC

You are fine on the NVME. I have only 950 usable GB on my NVMe RAID (should be 1TB minus formatting). I can get 3 plots out of it but there is wasted space on the drive.

I can do 3 plots at 720 GB and I have roughly 230 left after overhead on my drive. I feel confident that if you have between 800 and 900 GB after formatting on your drive, you can do 3 plots on the SSD. That is lousy and not worth it for your setup at all. You could speed through those 3 on that drive, and if you optimize, I think you could do up to 12 on that drive per day.

If needed, you can get a PCIe to NVME adapter and keep the 960GB NVMe and plot on the new NVMe through the PCIe adapter as an additional plotting location.

My PC HAVE Aorus gaming z370 k3 with 2 nvme support i can put 2 nvme drives.

I have upload format capacity. 892 gb
imagem

I can do 3 plots at 720 GB and I have roughly 230 left after overhead on my drive. I feel confident that if you have between 800 and 900 GB after formatting on your drive, you can do 3 plots on the SSD.

So I can make 3 plots in paralel ?

On that 960 GB NVMe, you could. Unless it was your boot drive. Then only 2.

Is not the boot drive. I have one samsung pro 256 gb 2.5 “” format for boot

Then 3 should be a safe number then. Based upon your other stuff, you still want another really large NVMe to maximize your plotting potential.

Thank you for your opinion.

So for resume configs

1st pc with nvme 960gb (making 3 plots)-- think upgrade add one more 960 gb drive (for making 6 plots total)
for plot save and Farming → server Dl380 with 22 TB consider raid 5 (24TB)

For HP Dl360 without ssds but with 2 raid 0 with each 4 tb maybe making 6 plots each 4tb space?

Sounds good. Although I would ultimately go with a 1TB NVMe instead of a 960GB because you get a full 4 plots instead of 3 and don’t waste space.

1 Like

Is the nvme I have but i have (with 960 gb)see many youtubers SAYS chia kill our drives :slightly_frowning_face:

Chia WILL kill the NVME (or shorten the usable life of the NVMe). I use Crystal Disk Info to monitor my NVME health. My Silicon Power 512GB drives share write cycles since they are in RAID but you need to check the TBW of the NVMe. mine only has I think 380. I use about 5% drive life per drive. I think I will use the usable drive life within 8 months (leaving some overhead/life left for other less taxing projects).

We have to think about profit one nvme drive like my corsair now is around 150 euros or 180 dolars.

IF CHIA destroy my drives in 5 months i not have profit, for 22tb estimated profit comes after 6 months

Your drive has an estimated TBW (TB writes before the flash goes bad) around 1700 write cycles. I am comfortable saying you could get up to 2 years of writing/Chia usage on that drive before youshould consider retiring it from primary usage as a Chia plotting drive. Doing more research, I should have gotten more better drives.

I should have gotten that 1TB Corsair drive or a Crucial. Or for the same price I could have gotten a Team or PNY or Inland (Microcenter store brand). I learned my lesson. Don’t make my mistake. Get the highest TBW or write endurance you can afford on your 2nd NVMe.

If you’re not going to invest in more storage space, it seems a waste to invest in more plotting hardware.

With what you have now, you could do 20 plots a day, you’ll be done plotting in two weeks or so.
Also harddrives might be slow but they don’t suffer from plotting like ssd’s do.

2x1TB Sabrent Rocket (NOT Q) is cheap, has high TBW and can sustain writing at 950MB/sec - Mine have given no trouble since setting them up when I set 2x1TB in RAID 0 . I can plot 8 in parallel and am currently pushing to 9 in parallel but it is tight and only if you have it precisely staggered

The blue Sabrent Rocket drives are just average low end drives. The peach colored Sabrent rocket drives are no better than Corsair drives or Crucial drives. Even getting a Silicon Power a80 1TB is cost effective and has good TBW (just checked). I screwed up.

I have tried about everything from 5 minutes to 120 minutes to stagger and ended up with 230 (max) leftover on my NVMe RAID. I gave up and just did the 30 minute stagger + my boot SATA SSDto make 4 plots at a time and 8 per day. I managed 100 plots in my 1st month ending today doing it that way.

I like the Silicon Power brand of value drives - i have used them for some time but they are just not as available - i use 2x1TB Sabrent (Peach) Rocket NME to produce 30+ plots a day on 1 plotter, running 8/9 in parallel

If you’re not going to invest in more storage space, it seems a waste to invest in more plotting hardware.

With what you have now, you could do 20 plots a day, you’ll be done plotting in two weeks or so.
Also harddrives might be slow but they don’t suffer from plotting like ssd’s do.

Before I sart plotting with nvme ssd Im consider start with hp dl360p with drives 2 raid 0.
How many plots can i put run on same time?

Before i buy my drive is the first think i have do is see tbw and thats why i go to corsair. But when i buy it I not know anything about chia. I not dream mining with ssd or hdd.

start with just one on each raid disk, so 2 total for that system. Maybe you can do two at a time per raid disk, just have to try out how it works, third option would be no raid and 1 plot on each drive

I did a dumb thing and saw the sale on Amazon. I thought to myself: “What if I combined the drives in RAID and doubled the TBW and split the write cycles between the 2 drives?”. I was wrong there.

Thank you. Great idea