HHD enclosure's

Anyone out there can recommend a 2U 12 hdd enclosure? I have the server and the external HBA. Wanted to get an old used enclosure. Only caveat is that I don’t want something that will spin the fans up 100% during normal operations.

I was looking at the Dell SC200 but lots of people say when its connected to an HBA the fans go to 100%.

IBM 1746A2E is another I was looking into also.

I-star has just a basic enclosure, but I cannot find a price and I’m sure its out of my price range.

Or even Hitachi Drive Box Enclosure 3.5" 12-Slot Unified Storage HUS 110 LFF DF-F850-DBL?

For 1U, used: Chenbro, new: Netgear.

You can use more or less any enclosure you like with these:

1. Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB1 JBOD Power Board. This will control the fans and deal with the PSU.

2. Dell P/N 6TDVN or 5R10N This provides 8087 / 8088 connectivity. (8087=4xSata/Sas HDDs, 8088 = external connection to host controller and to daisy chain). Pay attention to power requirements for this!

3. DIY 12 x 3.5 HDD rack You could even build your own enclosure using these.

2 Likes

For that Chenbro, did you find a solution to replace those 40mm fans? I am about to drill the case, and mount 120mm fans to relive some noise.

However, it has 400W PSU, and that makes from time to time really a lot of noise. Not sure what to do about this one (another hole?).

What Chenbro case you using? Does it have a 2U option?

I have 1U case and all fans are 40mm (6x case, 1x PSU). Those case fans are not really pulling enough air, but still are noisy (running around 5K RPM all the time).

Just in case someone gets this in a search someplace…

Hitachi Drive Box Enclosure 3.5" 12-Slot Unified Storage HUS 110 LFF DF-F850-DBL

Does not work, At least it didn’t work for me. There is a chance the one I got is bad. But it will not recognize SATA drives and will not complete bios post with a SAS drive in. Tried on three different PC’s same result. Could be the HBA, I dont have another to try. But…

Yes, I have that Chenbro NR12000 1U, and those little 40mm fans are really noisy and still not pulling enough air over HDs.

Noise is not a concern for me. It’s easier to move the machines out of my living space. A shed works.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I will buy tomorrow a hole saw, and at least start drilling next to the PSU intake.

The whole box is not using too much power, but as PSU gets warm air that passed all those HDs, it is triggered from time to time to cool itself down. I noticed that once I open the case, it starts slowing down it’s fan almost right away (getting an ambient air).

Hitachi does use HDDs with custom firmware that doesn’t work in other devices and therefore you can’t use any normal SAS/SATA HDDs in there enclosures.

Ya, I suspected that. I still wanted to try it though. EMC does odd things to the drives also, but once you low level format it, they work. But that’s the drives them selves.

Also the Chenbro only uses 4TB drives and smaller.

I have a couple of 18TB drives in mine, the rest are a mix between 10-16TB. No issues whatsoever (except the fricking fan noise).