How Do I Get Two Different Full Nodes Working on the Same Network?

1 person pays money at x cable shop.

1 person pays money at y cable shop

they both run their own lines into the house. you pay for both monthly subscriptions.

am I missing somthing els than? this just seems like a no brainer…

This might not necessarily be a network connectivity issue. Occasionally the wallet just takes a while to sync. Other times the wallet/db file could become corrupt and you need to start over or copy the wallet/db file from another (preferably your own machine) machine.

Personally, I have not had an issue synching a machine even if my router wasn’t forwarding the port to it. It’s how I make backups of the blockchain.

If both machines are ‘Full Node Synced’ and the sync isn’t dropping out I would think that the network is the least likely cause of a wallet not syncing.

My advice to you would be to try to download the blockchain again, on another device, prefereably something powerful like a desktop PC or laptop and see if that node and wallet syncs ok. If it does, copy the files over to your farmer and keep a regular backup of the blockchain on another device.

Also, when syncing with the the blockchain and trying to solve wallet sync issue, try running the device with node and wallet only with chia start wallet instead of chia start farmer, once it syncs up ok you can start the farmer and harvester later. I find it keeps the logs clear and easier to diagnose sync issues.

This is what I like to see when syncing and backing up blockchain (port not forwarded to this machine).

1 Like

How about we each buy our own houses instead, that’ll solve it…

I’m testing this before the move with a full node machine and a harvester. So I can play with the settings as needed.

The wallet wasn’t syncing on the OG full node machine, once I turned the second machine back into a harvester, the OG’s wallet synced. I assume that some process was holding it up from syncing.

My thought is, port forwarding is working correctly for the full node, plots are passing the filter and Full Node Connection shows the forwarded 38444 port on the GUI under the Farm tab.

I forgot to mention that when you copy the db files over to your farmer to make sure the farmer has read write permission to the db file.

Otherwise the logs will say something like “unable to write to closed database” and then stop syncing.

Thats interesting, so ur thinking the second machine was causing interference, preventing the first machine from syncing?

The only thing I can think of that would cause this is your UPnP settings.

See Chia Wiki - FAQ | Full Node

Why should I not run more than one node on a home network and what’s this about UPnP?

First, running more than one node with the same private keys on your home network is wasting bandwidth by syncing two copies of the blockchain over your download link. You can get the same results by running one node and using multiple harvesters on multiple computers.

Second, if you have uPnP enabled on both nodes and your home router supports uPnP (and most do) it will cause both of your nodes to not sync the blockchain. You need to disable uPnP on all or all but one node behind a uPnP enabled router. The CLI command chia configure --enable-upnp false will turn uPnP off on a node. It requires a restart of the node to take effect. If you disable UPnP on all but one of your nodes then your local router will forward inbound 8444 traffic to the one node and the rest will now be able to connect to the network but just will not accept inbound connections from the network.

You would have to check if multiple machines are trying to connect via UPnP, and that only one machine has it on.

However, I believe this was mentioned earlier…

so I don’t know what else could be causing your proble.

My recommendation would be to each put your nodes on a Cloud server, and then point your farmers to your cloud node. I spend $5 a month on mine on Vultr.

If you want a referral code that’ll give you $10 off your first month, shoot me a DM.

Got wallet is sync on both full node machines, with UPnP enabled on both, plots are passing the filters.
But 0 points found on the second machine, it’s plots are assigned to the nft, I can see current height and point balance.

Next I’ll try making a new key and plot on the second machine and make it just a farmer and see if that plays nicely. What I found on VPNs and VLANs doesn’t appear will solve anything.

It’s $20/mo to get a separate line, which just seems like the brute force ways of solving it but I guess it’s better than beating my head into a wall.

Update: Points are now successful in the nfts on the second machine, so that looks good. But

I’m just getting the new line, there are other benefits, turns out his whole network and wiring is kinda funky.

I’ll

1 Like

So anyone looking at this thread knows, it appears I have two full nodes on the same network working, although not separate keys:

• plots are passing the filter
  • points are being successfully found in the pool
  • wallets are synced

Both PCs have the same /ca/ & keys, UPnP is off on the router.
On the config.yaml file of the second PC, change all instances of “8444” to “38444”
as well as “enable_upnp: true” on line 117
Forward port 38444 to the 2nd PC’s IP

I’ll test this later with a different machine, new key, clean install but copying just the blockchain’s db file.

2 Likes

We’re releasing a program that will solve this for you in a day or two, uChiaFarmer is in on the closed alpha test :smiley:

2 Likes

What neighbor ? What foot ?

1 Like

I was using a second internet account for a second chia account. I met the comment of Saucy and conected two full node to the same network. It works! Have to uncheck UPNP on the router and in config file upnp: false, and in the second chia pc, change all 8444 ports to 38444. Thats all!!

1 Like