How do SSDs fail?

Ah, ok, just surirised me that the machine would blue screen from that.

ubuntu wont start with a broken/corrupted disk with a critical system error when it tries to mount it.

That had me a couple of times after an unexpected shutdown

2 Likes

So 19TB written on a PM883, while your drive has an endurance of 5,466 PB.
So you didn’t kill the flash, something else failed…

1 Like

yeah, looks like an rma for me

EBay special, just out of 5 yr warranty. It was really pretty cheap (!!) but waste of money. Only worked for a couple months at all well.

If anyone wants to contribute to science, I am peripherally involved in a project to study drives and their failures, we would love to see some ssds with genuine heavy wear and failure/imminent failure.

Please let me know if you have one that you’ve taken out of service and don’t mind donating. Happy to pay the shipping.

We have a few thousand spinning rust hard drives so we don’t need any of those at the moment.

Simon.

Damn what did you buy that wore that quick? It must have been a small one right? I still havent killed a nvme my 980 pros have written 2500TB plus and are nowhere near being worn out and even the cheap ass wd 750 1tb i have in another rig ran for a long time and is still find it plotted for like 8 months or something and is not a boot disk on the farmer and still has over 50% it says