How do you manage your all your hard drives?

I’m getting to the point where I have loads of hard drives all over and I’m curious how other people are managing all their drives. I see a lot of “UNTITLED” dirs on my farming rig :weary: and I know there’s a better way.

Right now my current thought is to mark each drive by “year.month” along with a drive number. This way I can see “2021.05.008” is the 8th drive I’ve filled for May in the year 2021. Only issues I see with this way are the drives that get filled at the end of the moth and plots at the start of next month.

Does the date actually matter? I simply name mine in a way that matches how they’re physically laid out next to my rig.

I don’t think dates matter too much right now but I’ve read a few places that plots last 3 to 5 years. I also suspect that as time goes on this could be the case as well as devs increasing k32 to k33. Not that it’s going to happen tomorrow, would just be nice to be prepared now

Ah I see. You could always write a script that scans all your directories and spits out age of your plots and their locations.

I was think more along the lines of looking at 32 hard drives connected to a computer and trying to figure out which one I need. For reference check out Reference Farming Hardware · Chia-Network/chia-blockchain Wiki · GitHub and the DIY farm. How does one know which hard drive is which? I suppose a script could tell me the label/mount point.

I guess I just don’t understand why the physical part matters. Assuming they’re all plugged into your machine, after that it’s all just folders and files. You don’t have to physically interact with the drives to move things around, clear out expired plots, etc

1 Like

Works for me, it appears I’m just over complicating things :upside_down_face:

1 Like