How f'ing stupid is the Chia GUI design? Chia creates OG plots in the GUI? My June 2022 rant

That’s interesting. I’ve read about changing v1 to v2 within the config file. However, the config file already has references to v2, which adds to my confusion. There are both v1 and v2 references within the config file now. Things are working but I haven’t deleted the v1 database yet until I’m confident on what I now have in place. Yes, I would say new users won’t have this issue, so it’s something for the original farmers to sort out. It’s hard to relate but when you are troubleshooting something and there are 10 versions over the course of a year that people are discussing, it’s almost impossible to know what is or isn’t relevant today. It’s one of the crappy things about software and updates with troubleshooting. Not Chia specific at all. It just means that Chia has the bigger obligation to the end users to ensure they have CURRENT info and guides and parse out a lot of the older version help/tutorials/faqs.

I understand your frustration, but crypto isnt mainstream, most still think its a joke / ponzi / scam.

Its certainly not plug and play and takes work and learning.
In time it wil change, but things are getting better.

Theres only 2 lines in config.yaml you need to make sure are correct, ill find a post and drop a link.

Read this first post in thread, make sure yours are pointed at the v2.

I think maybe a little too much research has confused you. (not an insult) The reason you have found different methods needed to update to v2 is because the process changed. For the better. When I did it I had to make the config file edit manually. But then one update later the process was automated and it updated the config file as part of the database upgrade. So if you go looking for an answer, you will find different information. The current documentation is short and sweet because there is nothing else to know. You run the update and it does everything for you. Including more than that would be confusing.

Good luck.

Same here have a bunch of OG’s and all the new plots are NFT because you never know what you may want to do in the future, always be ready… :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

Thanks guys for the info regarding the database upgrade. I will double check.

I’m not in a massive dilly of a pickle with the OG plot situation. I don’t want to overstate things. These can farm. I’m going solo so it’s not a concern. It was however baffling and time consuming trying to problem solve. I’m wiser for it.

Just as Chia is cresting on the 20’s. No better time to get back into this. Am I right?

Please appreciate some tongue in cheek with anything I have to say. Not always 100% serious. Underlying points are serious but I tend to exaggerate. I just wanted to clarify for anyone reading down this far.

@MisterSavage

I’d like to add 2c of opinion about “end users” or also referred as “mainstream”.

Assuming these are technically illiterate people, who perhaps best they can do is install an app on smartphone, they are not fit to run a farming operation. A mainstream solution nowadays is an app you install on your device. Something like a Lite Wallet. But what would mainstream people have to do on L1 blockchain?

But let’s suppose for a second that we buy this proposition of “farming on a spare unused few TB”. Of course running a few node is more trouble than it is worth for such small scale. The closest simplest solution for this is actually achieved by 3rd party software like Flexfarmer. You create some plots, point the farmer at them and this is as close as it gets to the “1-click farming”.

I think achieving simplicity would require a centralization trade-off. The rhetorical question is: why “decentralization” is considered to be an immutable constraint? A dogma? I’d argue that both ways are viable in certain contexts.

Here are some more thoughts with a neutral exploration on the centralized vs decentralized topic:

I agree that the English “Join a Pool” wording for selecting the Plot NFT is a poor choice once you’ve joined one. If nothing else, that should be improved.

When I started, it seemed pretty clear that selection was required to make an NFT plot, but I can see how that would be confusing. If you feel passionate about it, open an issue on GitHub. They might make a simple change, especially since a lot of GUI work is happening now.

The plotting manager is a lot better today than 6 months ago, but early on I found it easier to create plots from the command line. Mainly it was faster and easier to set up big plotting jobs.

I think that the article about Skype doesn’t do much justice to what it was (initially) meant to do.

In order to talk about Skype, a note about SS7 architecture / protocol would be helpful (to understand de-/centralization, costs, robustness issues). Also, there is no point in comparing the 'initial" Skype with what eBay and then Microsoft did to it (e.g., to obey the US snooping laws). The two slide decks that should describe Skype protocol are basically what the authors stated - “Skype is a gold mine for reverse engineers” - and that is where it all stops, nothing about protocol.

So, I would really not quote that article, or rather not say that it expresses any reasonable opinions on de-centralization issue.

Although, you can call me biased (on Skype side).

Not much to thank Chia here. The only reason you can do it, as MM and BB can utilize all resources, and just one instance can be run at a time. Before MM was introduced, plotting with Chia plotter was really a major PITA (everyone was using third party plotting managers that basically beat shit out of what Chia produced).

As stated before, OG plots should not be the default ones (although @Bones brought up a great point about those being more robust to leaked keys issues - where Chia’s JM put his talk between his legs and run away to not answer that question). Also, MM should be the default plotter (at least until they will replace it with BB - what they are pushing for right now). The Chia plotter should be only used in the lab to test stuff, but that’s it.

2 Likes

Plotting wise, shout out to Poor Investor the YouTube guy. He came across a rather clever and shockingly excellent method of using the Chia GUI for plotting. I’ve never plotted faster. Set it and forget it. It’s not about parallel plotting. It’s about starting 2 or 3 differently named “jobs” and running them at the same time. I can vouch for 4th Gen Intel i7 4790K and 16GB DDR3 RAM using 15K sas drives and producing plots with reckless abandon. I run 3 jobs simultaneously on 3 separate sas drives with ZERO issue. People slagging the Chia GUI plotting prowess may need to revisit it. No idea why parallel is so slow for me, but this method of The Poor Investor is best described as the S. The truth is I was going to use a plotting manager but realized there was no need. My only question is whether I could run 4 jobs at the same time on the 8 thread GPU.

In terms of centralized vs. decentralized, I can only say that the debate falls on deaf ears. POS followers don’t give a rats A about such topics. People don’t understand the difference. It’s never going to convince people to stay POW. It’s an argument not worth pursuing but I realize we aren’t debating ETH POS vs. POW.

Thanks for the suggestion about opening an issue on GitHub. That would be the productive, make it count, way to go.

That is exactly why the Chia plotter sucks.

Switch to MM plotter, and you can run just one instance of it, and beat the shit out of what Chia plotter can deliver. There is no need to install chia, just download MM binary and you will never go back.

Yup, that is pretty much a NIMBY issue, as the bottom line counts for the most of miners / farmers. Although, I was not arguing about pro or against, but rather of misapplying Skype case to support whatever statement it was meant to be.

You could also quote Gene’s handle, to get his attention. They troll this forum from time to time, but looks like are reading when addressed personally (not so much acting, just reading). If they don’t respond, usually that means that the issue stinks on their part.