How many have done a power consumption calc?

Hi
I have just done a rough power consumption calc for my pc based very small mining rig 100 plots…
Approx 200w 24hrs / day x 365 x £0.11 per kw/hr
£192 per year in the uk…
I wonder what percentage of Chia farmers have done their own calc??

Hi,
does it “feel right” for u, to use 200W for one or two HDDs?
Ive bought a raspberry to farm my external drives.
About 5W for the Raspberry and additional 5W per drive, roughly.

Soon, my gaming-rig is done plotting and allowed to sleep at night again.

It certainly doesn’t feel right…
But my head is now mush…

I’m 61
I haven’t used cli since dos…
I am definitely not a nerd or script boy…
So, Chia via GUI with forays into cli to check what I can…
Then… have to learn how to get a raspberry to farm
Augh… my brain hurts…

I am however an electrician…
So I might rig a test to see exactly what my system really dones pull…

2 Likes

Well, if ur not familiar with Linux, maybe setting up a cli-farmer is a bit much of a task. But rly fun, when it works.

So, in my oppinion, either buy a cheap Mini-PC, that can run windows, or stop farming.
Or maybe give Desktop-Linux a chance, though ive heard about problems with chia-linux-gui.

PS: does this look fun, or not? https://www.amazon.de/dp/B085H6GZ69/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_7Z4GYBM2PC261TPHGSSP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

It does look like fun…
But…
A serious learning curve…

I will give it a looking at!!!

In the mean time I will do a load test on my PC to see what it actually pulls…
It may be less than you would think

1 Like

Ok…
Just a little info for anyone interested…
So, I have just measured the current used by my farmer PC…
Going by the online calculators I assumed it would be over 200w
But, actually measured it is only 104W …
So annual running cost in UK is about £100…
Still far to high but may be able to reduce it further…

3 Likes

Mine is based on an old 3770k (not overclocked right now) Measured at the wall with a power meter running at 65-70W with 5 HDDs and 1 windows boot SSD, onboard graphics.

1 Like

Yes, I recommend getting a power meter for measuring power draw, there are a bunch of inexpensive ones on Amazon, for example here’s one for $20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JLT8NSG

1 Like

Don’t forget to factor in how your house is heated.

(E.g., if your house is already heated by electricity, and you heat your house half the year, then your computer’s electricity cost is moot during those 6 months).

2 Likes

Hi strat, welcome to the forum, really great to see you enthused with tech and the phenomenon, really validates the mass inclusivity. Great to have all members of society together. Welcome again, have fun, all the best :slight_smile:
(I am 38 so 60s not too far for me :p)

1 Like

It really is nearer than you could ever imagine my friend…

3 Likes

Absolutely agreed - - - the way time flies, I can’t recall where my last 8 years went… Almost considering booking a grave, before the world makes a run on it and there is a shortage of those too lol :stuck_out_tongue: God forbid they figure out a way to mine those for hydrocarbons… Lol!

1 Like

I’ve got all my farmers and plotters on metered pdu’s. My 720TB server pulls 1100 watts. Those are 72x HGST 10TB drives. That sounds about right taking into account around 10-12 watts per hard drive + cpu/mobo/ram. Altogether I’m pulling around 5-6kW for 3.2PB, just the farming nodes. With the plotters included I’m drawing close to 10kW. Had to run 2x 30A 240v circuits to 2 APC8641 metered pdu’s for this. That represents about 1/4 of my current mining setup as I’m also using about 30kW for 250 gpu’s mining. Sure chia uses less power than gpu mining, but it’s not really like an order of magnitude difference or anything. I spent about as much on chia farm as I did gpu farm ~$80k investment each. (I bought all drives months ago and gpus last summer before the surge). I certainly would never pay today’s prices for any of this crypto mining gear.

3 Likes

Man, talk about efficiency, good job on the quick buy calls there :+1:

1 Like

Now that is funny… Body farming.
…what was that movie?

1 Like

Never seen one, but hey, these tech geniuses can figure anything out - when I landed in Canada after immigration they made me sign an agreement which basically said 100 years from now, if the government wanted to use your DNA for research, will you allow it? My response was, “will I be in a position to stop them when I have decayed for a decade or two?” They said “No!” to which I said please write, “an unwilling Yes!” They said “it’s a checkbox…”

1 Like

Logans Run (1976)…
I’m that old I had to do a google search to remember it…lol

1 Like

Heh and then double your bill the other 6 months for extra cooling. Kind of negates itself. Cheaper winters and more expensive summers.

2 Likes

I am 58 and beefing up on my React and advanced Java - you’re never too old to fly !

1 Like